Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The KC/DW Review Series

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Do not allow the flame to light the wrapper, just the very end of the foot. When it starts to glow, pull the flame away and blow on the foot, watching for a full ember. If you see some dark spots or it looks uneven, toast a little more and blow again. This really takes much less time than you might think and will vary with each vitola. A robusto would take longer to light than a corona. As soon as you have a full ember, puff away. Because you already have a full ember you won't have to draw very hard, it is already well lit. I promise, it will be become a natural and you will appreciate the result over time.

Spills - The correct name for a cedar splint or stick or even the rolled up cedar sleeve you just removed from you cigar is a "Spill".

I hope this will help. I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have picked up some helpful hints along the way. Quite a long way I might add.
    You haven't the slightest idea how far my imagination can stretch. THANKS! That was awesome.

But more questions.

For one thing, if no part of the flame touches the wrapper, I only allow the embers to burn the wrapper, where, as I've been told before, the majority of the taste resides, correct?
    I have a dual-torch, which it would seem make lighting smaller ring-gauge cigars more difficult. But because only the top of the flame is touching / toasting, it won't make any difference, will it? So how high do you set your torch, then?

The advantage to using a spill is to add a bit of a smoked cedary taste to the cigar, correct? I don't suppose it makes any difference what you light the cedar spill with, is there?

Thanks again.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Default Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet #1

Logan37 dropped this one on me... Many thanks. Ashauler had done a review some time back on a Sol Cubano maduro and gave it some high marks. This was the first for me and I liked it.

Made by Oliva in Esteli, Nicaragua, this is a really sumptious and authentically "Cuban" looking cigar. The long-filler is a masterfull blend of "Cuban Seed" Honduran and Nicaraguan tobacco wrapped in a thick, smooth, leathery Ecuadorian wrapper with a notable oily sheen. Perfect for those Habano lovers like me. Construction is near perfect with a generous tight roll and very uniform fill.

Toasting was a little different as it was slow to show an ember but as soon as I blew on the foot it lit up like a coal furnace. The first draw was easy and satisfying as it produced an ample amount of creamy white smoke. Some spiciness at the onset that almost immediately evolved into nuances of wood and leather. The medium body also gained some strength around half way and became what I would consider to be near perfect. Not too strong but intensely flavorful and robust. Delicious.

An awesome value at around $4 (box price) it would be great to always have a few on hand.

Thanks again Rich for your generousity.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 9.

This is the mack daddy of reviews.
    Thanks for all the info DeeDubya!!

Thanks Rich

Blog Entries

Nice review once again DW!! A "9" rated $4 smoke is what we need more of!!

Great review DW. I really enjoy these sticks as well. I have a few left but they are on my "box" purchase list when I start buying boxes. I'm happy you liked it.

Blog Entries

Rich hooked me up with a few during a recent trade. Now I can't wait to try them. Thanks, man.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Default El Mejor Espresso Toro 6x52

Ola,

Logan37 included one of these in an "IED" that he put together for me. It blew me away. While not an expensive stick it can hold it's own with other more expensive maduros like RP's, Olivas, etc.

Reportedly dyed to make them coal-black, I could care less. There are many little tricks to make a cigar look inviting but the end result is what counts and the Espresso is delicious. The Mexican maduro wrapper conceals a blend of "some tastey long-fillers". I don't know what but would guess maybe Dominican and Mexican. Maybe it's a well kept secret, but certainly a masterful blend.

Toasting immediately released an impressive cloud of thick creamy smoke with the essence of fresh roast coffee beans. It drew well and burned uniformly. Soon a nice grayish/white, crisp ash "I think the contrast with a dark cigar can make it look whiter) had reached a couple inches without falling. Cocao, coffee, nuts, hell this is like a candy bar. I was tempted to bite off a piece and chew it. JK

I chose a Shiner Black Lager to accompany this dark vivacious Senorita. Good choice, although maybe a little too much sweetness. Next time I'll try one with a couple fingers of Patron or Sauza Hornitos (can make you horny). Ole'.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 8.

Hi everyone, nice reviews while I have been away. I apologize for my absence; I'm having financial troubles and I'm working a lot of overtime. (Plus, I have to admit I have FINALLY decided to start learning jazz guitar, which I have wanted to do since I was a teenager a couple of decades ago. I love it and it takes a lot of time to learn [and I am a musical moron].)

DW, you are mistaken, no spousal pressure. (My wife totally rocks!) This is all my own internal pressure, although she does seem to get concerned about purchases of expensive cigars, even though she does occasionally smoke one. [Thanks to you, DW, she turns her nose up at anything that's not a Special G or a Hemingway Short Story. Good thing she only smokes about one per month.])

I miss you guys.

On a brighter note, I have updated the index in the first post of this thread....AND I have started a dog-rocket review thread for grins and giggles.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 11-12-2008 at 08:10 AM.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Damn good to have you back posting my friend!! The frickin' economy has kicked us all in the crotch lately. Keep on keepin' on, it'll come around.

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    Hi everyone, nice reviews while I have been away. I apologize for my absence; I'm having financial troubles and I'm working a lot of overtime. (Plus, I have to admit I have FINALLY decided to start learning jazz guitar, which I have wanted to do since I was a teenager a couple of decades ago. I love it and it takes a lot of time to learn [and I am a musical moron].)

DW, you are mistaken, no spousal pressure. (My wife totally rocks!) This is all my own internal pressure, although she does seem to get concerned about purchases of expensive cigars, even though she does occasionally smoke one. [Thanks to you, DW, she turns her nose up at anything that's not a Special G or a Hemingway Short Story. Good thing she only smokes about one per month.])

I miss you guys.

On a brighter note, I have updated the index in the first post of this thread....AND I have started a dog-rocket review thread for grins and giggles.

I miss you guys.

Steven,
    First my bad for assuming, although spousal pressure is not uncommon, rightfully so or the boys would spend all the money on toys and bad habits.
    I think the dog-rocket thread is a good idea. We all smoke them, so let's give the good ones a little praise.
    Again, thanks for keeping the index current on this thread.

Blog Entries

I miss you guys.
    Good to see you again, KC! Welcome back!
    The current economic times have affected us, as well. We've gotten our tail kicked all over the place, but remain optimistic that things will turn around.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Steven,
    First my bad for assuming, although spousal pressure is not uncommon, rightfully so or the boys would spend all the money on toys and bad habits.
    I think the dog-rocket thread is a good idea. We all smoke them, so let's give the good ones a little praise.
    Again, thanks for keeping the index current on this thread.
    No worries, my friend. It's a very reasonable assumption. :)
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Perdomo Habano Corojo (Robusto 5 x 52)

Today I smoked a Perdomo Habano Robusto in the Corojo wrapper, courtesy of Sammis, who kindly donated this stick along with several others. The Perdomo Habano is a Nicaraguan cigar with “Cuban-seed” filler from that country’s Esteli, Condega, and Jalapa regions. The binder is Nicaraguan as well, with a Corojo wrapper. The main and foot bands are elaborate and classy, fine-lined in white, gold, and brown. The thick bands seemed to be made more of vinyl than paper. The cigar’s presentation is one of muscular grace and sophistication.

(Photo shamelessly stolen from somewhere else on the Internet.)

I poured myself a glass of Pilsner, put Joe Pass to work on his guitar, and sat down to business. I started with this cigar (out of the several kindly sent) because I had never had one of these before, I like Corojo wrappers a lot, and I like Perdomo in general (a vice I acquired from DeeDubya). I figured this cigar was likely to be very enjoyable.

The wrapper of the cigar was a deep, even brown color, with some texture, but not coarse. The aroma of the unlit cigar was deep, very rich and pleasant. This was one of the better smelling cigars (unlit) I have experienced in quite a while. The cigar was solid, almost hard; construction was flawless. The cut was made without mishap, and the unlit draw was nice and easy and filled my mouth with the taste of dry chocolate. Toasting brought on no aroma that could defeat the phosphorus of the match, but the wrapper had a slight tang on the lips.

From the first puff the smoke was smooth and huge and tasty (but not intense in flavor). The light taste of leather and old (dusty?) wood or hay were colored by a slight whiff of something… like smelling a mug of cocoa powder on the counter across the room waiting for the water to boil. (Sorry, not trying to sound like a writer for Cigar Snob Magazine here; I really am cursed with a hypersensitive nose. I wish my eyes were as good.) The draw was indeed easy, but not airy.

The first third showed a very sharp burn line that was tolerably uneven. Among the above-mentioned flavors (which were dominant), there was a semisweet undertone beginning, difficult to define. The closest thing I could come up with as a descriptor was the smell of the skin of a pear fresh off the tree... not exactly, but close. I had encountered this taste or one very much like it before when smoking Don Lino Africa cigars. In the Africa, it is the dominant taste. In this Perdomo Habano, it was an undertone.

The ash, pale gray with tiny darker streaks, was rough and not terribly solid, and started to flake into my lap at less than an inch burned. The first ash fell off entire at one inch or so and never achieved that length again. The middle third maintained the dominance of leather with wood fading fast, and the almost-sweet, almost fruit undertone remaining steady. Throughout, the smoke had a very thick, heavy feel in the mouth that was very pleasant. As the middle third drew to a close, the cigar was approaching within a stone’s throw of spiciness.

In the final third the flavor profile shifted; the finish of each puff showed some muscularity in the leathery taste, with the woody taste mostly gone. The spiciness succumbed to its shyness and never came forward into the light. A shadow of what one might call a haylike taste remained in the start of each puff. In a surprise move, that haylike flavor jumped to the front halfway through this final third (an interesting twist), after which the cigar became noticeably and increasingly bitter. I admit this bitterness might have been me rushing the cigar (I was really enjoying it).

Walt over at www.stogiereview.com uses the word “vegetal” several times in his review of this cigar, and I can agree with that to some extent.

Let me take this opportunity to discuss the “leather” taste I find so often in good cigars, especially sticks with Habano or Corojo wrappers. While it’s a word I use a lot, it of course varies in subtle ways from cigar to cigar. In the Camacho 1962, it is almost literally like placing a piece of seasoned belt leather in your mouth. (There are a lot of other things going on in the Camacho 1962, but I’ll forgo discussing them here.) In this cigar (the Perdomo), it’s like holding that piece of leather near one’s nose, perhaps after it’s been out on the trail and gotten a bit of dirt on it. The Habano wrapper of the Gurkha Master’s Select is somewhere between those two.

I have read some other reviews that pan this cigar for wrapper unraveling problems, but I did not experience anything like that. Body was straight-down-the-middle medium throughout the length of the cigar. The Perdomo Habano was a solid performer, with some complexity, very smooth taste, and a respectably consistent flavor profile (with a small amount of evolution) throughout most of the smoking experience. This is a slow smoker, well over an hour. I recommend a light, tangy Pilsner or Belgian beer with this cigar after a light meal (I had soup). I expect any sort of wine would clash with this smoke, but whiskey might work.

Score 18.15 (x5) = 90.75, losing a third of a point because the flavors, while good, lacked intensity in the first and middle thirds; another third was deducted for a burn line that never quite evened out. Another third was lost because of the bitterness that cropped up near the end. The final score is 89.85. If you’re a stickler for ash quality, you could consider the score a bit lower, but for me the ash is less than paramount.

Many humble thanks to Sammis for introducing me to this cigar and for a relaxing evening, and thanks to DeeDubya and Ashauler for urging me to get back on the horse. It warms the heart to be back amongst friends.
    -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Couple = 2.........to try = Georges Reserve........WTF, I received an awesome package today, and you failed miserably on both parameters. I can't wait to try the Geroges you sent......and their companions are stellar choices!!

You are certainly a most generous BOTL!! Many thanks!!
    I can vouch for DW's generosity. It's not a new habit for him.
    -Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Damn nice review KC....I've missed reading them.

Gaaaw-leee KC. You hide out for months... you must have been working on this review. I had to take a break and get another beer. Very good. I do like the Perdomo's.

Default Montecristo "Sevens" Churchill 7x60

Decadence and Luxury.

Rolled by the best torcedores (cadre) using the best raw materials, this flawless combination is designated "Level 7". Aged Dominican fillers wrapped in beautiful chocolate-brown Ecuadorian Sumatra leaf equals a delicious and sumptuous one-of-a-kind.

A nearly veinless, drum-tight wrapper gave some clue that this might just be a really, really good cigar. The fact that it was a Montecristo gave it some merit too! I didn't play with it too long before I was toasting the foot and drooling at the mouth. I did a v-cut and achieved a perfect draw, surprising as this was a very tight roll. I immediately kicked back and began to enjoy some heavenly flavors. So complex and earthy with a smooth finish. I got some sweet and salty contrast, the best I can describe it would be honey-roast peanuts. The burn was even, centered cone, crisp light ash, pleasant after-taste. Of course I nubbed it. The only disappointing thing about this cigar is that it was the only one. But, thank you logan37, I did have the pleasure!

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 93.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MX7.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	912  

I'm really happy that you enjoyed the 7, DW. They really are a great smoke. And I thought you said you hated Montes.

I have more if you want to work something out.

And I thought you said you hated Montes.

I did. I thought if I said that I hated them then you would try to prove to me that they were good by sending me one to try. It worked!

Just Kidding - Thanks bro

HA! I'm such a sucker. Well played sir.

Thread Information