My last review was the Gran Robusto, big brother of the Rothschild.
Meet Paps. Big daddy of the Gran Habano Corojo family.

KC slipped this one in the last package he sent. I purposely let it hibernate in my humi for a couple weeks to balance. Unlike the other Gran Habanos with large bands this one has only a red & gold foot band with "Corojo #5", maybe a "premium" cigar trademark, I'm not sure.

This is a very impressive looking vitola with a dark, reddish-brown Corojo wrapper. Smooth, oily and very tight. This beaut is well packed with a robust blend of Nicaraguan and Costa Rican long-fillers. I alloted a couple hours of self-indulgence just in case.

Toasting took some time, about half a lighter of butane and some patience before I got a good ember. But, one cannot skip this little pre-nuptual ritual. A good cigar needs a little foreplay to get it in the mood.
Like the other Gran Habano Corojos it is a medium to full flavored stick but not at all harsh or bitter. This larger size makes it burn slightly cooler, with a lot of creamy, aromatic smoke. Shades of coffee, spice and everything nice justify taking time between puffs and just letting it burn at it's own pace. Midway the flavors changed a bit to a nutty, woodsy, earthy flavor and still fairly even burn. The last half started to burn down one side but not unmanageable.
I usually touch the unburned leaf with my lighter to help even things out. I can't tell that this changes the flavor but it does help a little with the burn.
After about an hour and twenty minutes of relaxing and rewarding contemplation, I have concluded that the Gran Habano family of cigars are consistantly good. Although my favorite is still the Rothschild, there is actually very little difference across the size range of Corojo's. Per Ashauler's recommendation I will be trying their Connecticut series as well.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 8.3.

Thanks again to KC for a good cigar.