Thread: Going to Cozumel

Default Going to Cozumel

So the wife and I are going to Cozumel in two weeks, I've never been to Mexico before. What should I keep my eyes open for to buy. Are there any good finds in Mexico, is it all about ripping off the tourists? Also anyone ever been to Cozumel? Do the same rules still apply to the water? How does that work for alcohol drinks, no ice?
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

I went on a cruise a few years back that stopped in Cozumel and I had a blast! From my memory (and their website) they claim that all served water products are either purified or bottled (ie drinking water, ice, vegatables and such washed in purified water). I'm not sure about water out of the tap though. One of the places I enjoyed most is not on mainland Cozumel, called Xcaret. Lots of stuff to do there, beach, underground river, swim with dolphins, old ruins (maybe mayan?), scuba/snorkle, golf, great food, and a few bars, just to name a few things.

Have fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    So the wife and I are going to Cozumel in two weeks, I've never been to Mexico before. What should I keep my eyes open for to buy. Are there any good finds in Mexico, is it all about ripping off the tourists? Also anyone ever been to Cozumel? Do the same rules still apply to the water? How does that work for alcohol drinks, no ice?
    Nate,

I was last in Cozumel in Oct. 05'. We were there on a longer vacation than planned because Hurricane Wilma (strongest ever measured in the Atlantic) hit. That thing sat on top of us for 36 hours at a Cat 4 and was the scariest single moment in my life. Cozumel was hit the hardest and I hope the beaches are back to the norm. If I were you, I would unband some cigars and take them with you. I do not recall a S.A. Habanos store on the island. The closest one, I think, is in Cancun. It is a very nice shop, but do not expect great prices there. Avoid other places for cigars because fakes run wilder than dogs in the Yucatan region. If you get a chance to go to Tulum, I would highly recommend it, Beautiful and quiet as is Cozumel!

I personally did not order any drinks with ice. I had my bourbon and Tequilla "neat". Several people had drinks on the ice or those fancy crushed ice drinks- "Miami Vice" seemed to be the most popular... ...none of them got sick. There are a lot of people trying to sell shit, but pay no attention to them in general. If you buy anything from them, save your soft spot for the families peddling belts and jewelry etc. It is their bread and butter. You will find that the people in Mexico are some of the most accomodating, kind and hardest working people anywhere. None of that stereotypical siesta lazy shit. Honestly, you will leave there with a deep appreciation of just how hard these folks work. However, you will be approached with Time Share opportunities mostly at the Cancun Airport and while walking the streets. Just nod and keep walking....

Enjoy! I cannot wait to go back myself. We owe it to the people there if nothing else...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Nate, keep an eye out for the "Glass Tops", I'll split with ya if you can hook up!!!

As for the water, just get the shots before you go to be safe. We had shots for Hapatitus (SIC?) A & B before we went to Cuba last year. Don't remember the drug name, but it would probably be different in the US anyway.

Enjoy yourself.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

I can highly recommend the Diamond Resort on the Southern end close to the lighthouse. They have some very good "all inclusive" packages.

Thanks for the advice guys. We are staying at the Wyndham so I hope it's good.I'll take pics and post when I get back.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

7. Default

Just back from Puerto Vallarta. No worries about ice/water/veggies/salads in any of the restaurants that do a serious tourist business. May be different if you go to some small local restaurant; then I'd be careful. Don't think you need any shots. I smoked some Cubans that I got at my hotel; probably overpaid, but hopefully they were real.

Second the Tulum rec. There's also a park with snorkeling and other stuff called Xel Ha; we went there after Tulum. Have fun!!

Here's the link:

http://www.xel-ha.com/

Xel-Ha is great, visited last year and it is a lovelly park. Nice fishies and got to see some rays.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Water at the resorts is as perfectly safe as water can be. You may get sick regardless of any precaution. It's very common when traveling. You are going to a new area with new native germs and a lot of people from all corners of the world carrying microbes from the homeland. Plenty of new germs around to be caught under those circumstances. Keep your hands washed and keep some OTC AD medicine in your pocket, just in case. The cigars in the resort cigar/booze shop are usually safe bets, but not cheap. All inclusive resorts are a blast! You just wander around, doing what you please, grabbing drinks and food along the way, with little or no cares about money. Can't beat that!

I recommend going on a bar crawl and going shopping at least once. Fun!

P. S. Make sure and take or buy a broad brimmed hat and sunscreen.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post

Make sure to pick up some "Santa Clara 1830s" Cant go wrong with those! Also try to just stay away from the touristy stuff. Get out on your own and see the place. Find yourself a Taxi driver who will take you to the places the locals like to eat and drink. If you show them that you are there to really enjoy yourself but at the same time be respectful, they will take care of you. Everyone is really cool there and you and the wife are gonna love it!!!
    Last edited by Maduro Man; 04-08-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Blog Entries

I've been to many different parts of Mexico. The best thing about places like Cozumel is going to be the shopping. Don't buy anything at stated price; instead, haggle. They absolutely love it. Some are better at it than others, and they almost look forward to it.

Most "Americanized" locations have purified water for you to drink. I don't know if I'd drink out of the tap. I wouldn't drink the coffee at a McDonalds. You will also find great deals on tacos and beer. I have seen 3 tacos and a beer for $5. More American money is traded in TJ than Mexican currency. Watch out for little kids trying to sell you stuff, I had one follow me around for a while in TJ. It will help if you are with your wife, restaurants/bars will give her a deal to get you to bring your wallet in. Electronic bulls are fun, too.

Enjoy!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    Make sure to pick up some "Santa Clara 1830s" Cant go wrong with those! Also try to just stay away from the touristy stuff. Get out on your own and see the place. Find yourself a Taxi driver who will take you to the places the locals like to eat and drink. If you show them that you are there to really enjoy yourself but at the same time be respectful, they will take care of you. Everyone is really cool there and you and the wife are gonna love it!!!
    So how was the trip?

Thread Information