Thread: I need an emergency humidor

1. Default I need an emergency humidor

I have been smoking for a few months now and haven't gotten around to building a stock of cigars or a humidor to store them. I'll be getting one soon, but need some help in the short term.

Someone gave me a cigar worth over thirty dollars. I'd like to smoke it, but want to make sure it's not dried out. Is there any way I can build an emergency humidor using common household items? I've read the tips on how to calibrate a hygrometer, so it seems I could do something similar to humidify a single cigar. Any suggestions?

Tupperware and a damp sponge should work on a very temporary basis, but you should go out and get some florist foam or better yet, check into humidity beads for longer term storage.

get a humidor bag. i got one at my tobacco store for 5 bucks, they are good for 6 months.

There are also small humi bags that will work very well in a ziplock in the fridge. They are about 1 inch by 1.5 inches and light blue in color. You place it in distilleed water for a couple seconds then in the pouch. That pouch goes in a little large but still small ziplock. PLace that OPEN bag in a larger size ziplock with your smokes. They say these will work for a couple months.

I bought a couple from my local shop for about $.50 a piece.

Good Luck . . . . oh and hey, what is the cigar that you were given?????
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

5. Default

The cigar is a Zino Platinum Double Grand Natural. They come in bundles of three at Corona Cigars for $95, so I was a little off on my price. Looks like a VERY nice smoke, but I don't want to touch it until I am certain it has been properly prepared.

I'm looking to buy a basic 25-cigar humidor and a bundle of decent smokes for under $50. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    There are also small humi bags that will work very well in a ziplock in the fridge. They are about 1 inch by 1.5 inches and light blue in color. You place it in distilleed water for a couple seconds then in the pouch. That pouch goes in a little large but still small ziplock. PLace that OPEN bag in a larger size ziplock with your smokes. They say these will work for a couple months.

I heard that was a NO NO ???

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing

NO!!! No ziplocks in the Fridge!!! (unless the temp is 70). The regular temp in a fridge will dry out the cigars....

The Fuente bags they sell at cigar shops work very well. The heavy freezer ziplocs are a good substitute. Of course, a tupperware container is the best method of storage - they seal very nice and hold the moisture in very well... I've tried soaking a sponge with tap water and get funny smells. I would suggest the florist foam and distilled water (costs about $5.00 total) You can also find humi packs online and at cigar stores. I paid .60 each and they work VERY well!!

Also, ask your local cigar dealer to hang on to the humi-pacs that come out of Fuente products. They look like a small "sache" envelope, and contain a moisture pack. They work great short term as well.

8. Default

You guys are awesome. I live in Vegas, about 20 minutes from a reservation with a smoke shop. I've heard they have decent prices and a walk-in humidor, so I'm going to check them out and try to buy some type of humidor system. Thanks again for your help!

Let us know what you end up getting
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Thread Information