Thread: first three smokes

Default first three smokes

Okay, I realize I am probably the greenest newbie. I've only had three cigars of any quality, and those only within the last two or three weeks. Prior to that I had smoked only Swisher Sweets from Walmart, and only one or two a year.

That being said I have some comments and a question or two.

My first smoke was a Partagas Esplendido figurado. Being the first I was so involved in not dropping it or putting the wrong end in my mouth or not inhaling that I don't recall much. I did like the shape, and the ash stayed on for 2/3 of the smoke and I swear the ash made a sound when it dropped. I drink root beer while smoking, and had to quaff down two while smoking to cut the bitterness.

Yeah, I know, but I like root beer!

Second was a Macanudo Duke of York, I think a corona? Didn't give me a rush like the Partagas had, no bitterness, but also not much flavor. Kind of ho-hum. 1.5 root beers.

The third was about an hour ago, H. Upmann Pequeno 300, also a corona I think. What a rush! I had a buzz from the first puff. How about that, a legal high and you can drive while under the influence. Not bitter yet strong enough for my 3rd. Either I'm getting used to cigars or I'm smoking in order of quality. 1.0 root beers.

As I'm embracing the process more I also noticed with the Upmann a change to the cigar itself as I smoked. It felt firm before I lit it. After it had burned down about an inch I felt the body softening near the foot. After it was half smoked the entire remainder of the cigar was soft. Is this normal? My shamefully kludged together "humidor" has been 65%-70% RH and 65-72 degrees for the three weeks I've had the cigars, and yes the hygrometer is calibrated.

I have one more each of the Upmann Pequeno and Macanudo Duke of York, as well as two Upmann Robusto 100s and a box of six Cohiba Pequenos. I'd like to try the Partagas Esplendido again and see if it registers any differently.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. Comments?
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

2. Default

My cigars go from firm to soft all the time...I think its mostly the oil from good humi seasoning ('I think' being the key phrase...) As long as it tastes well I wouldn't think it would be a problem humi-wise....

BTW, from the selections you've tried so far it seems that you dig the med-bodied types...I'd suggest something by Punch, RyJ, Sancho Panza, or a CAO Cameroon....all of those are also pretty cheap so it won't hurt your wallet to buy a stick to try...I'd also recommend a Helix for their cheapness, but nobody here seems to love em'....

Again, I'm a rookie just like you so take my suggestions with a grain of salt

3. Default

I've noticed some smokes go a little soft at the end, but not many. How are you cutting the cigar? Straight cut? Some cuts like the V might promote the softening.

For a $2 cigar, you might like 5 Vegas gold. Bump to $5 and you get a Cusano 18. Hit $10 and get a good Arturo Fuente, AVO or Ashton. A bit above that is the Dunhill or Davidoff. Those are my recs for some smooth cigars that won't cause you to chug all that rootbeer.
    Last edited by Homebrewer; 04-06-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Just out of curiosity…How did the Swishers compare to the other three?

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    Just out of curiosity…How did the Swishers compare to the other three?
    Swishers were sweet to start but then became rough and bitter and with an ashtray taste, if you know what I mean. Could've been because it took a lot of puffing to keep 'em lit. The first non-Swisher I had was an ISOM given me by a friend. Wow! That's what opened my eyes to real cigars. Don't know the manufacturer (Romeo & Juliet, perhaps?) but the experience was divine. Strong yet smooth, burned evenly and without constant attention, burned slow, and packed a wallop giving me a real buzz.

Can't go back now! I still don't have a discerning enough palate to identify any flavor notes or other nuances beyond just smoothness and finish but I'll get there. I have a modest selection of cigars in my small humi now and am making notes as to what I like, and why.
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

Blog Entries

That's what I've been doing, too. I have a "little black book" where I tape labels with packing tape and make notes. I had a Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve yesterday, and it just about blew my socks off. I'm still trying to figure stuff out too, though.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I'm going slow on jumping into cigars (don't want to burn out!) but made an amazing discovery in my town a week or two ago - a cigar store, a real cigar store! Just wandered in one day, had to visit a business next door. They had a smoking lounge, private humidified cabinets for rent, big screen tv and an impressive inventory of fine cigars. They also have humis, cutters, lighters, and just an amazing selection of everything cigar. Friendly place too. I'll make a real trip back there in a week or so when I can devote a lot of time to looking around, and making a purchase.
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
    I'm going slow on jumping into cigars (don't want to burn out!) but made an amazing discovery in my town a week or two ago - a cigar store, a real cigar store! Just wandered in one day, had to visit a business next door. They had a smoking lounge, private humidified cabinets for rent, big screen tv and an impressive inventory of fine cigars. They also have humis, cutters, lighters, and just an amazing selection of everything cigar. Friendly place too. I'll make a real trip back there in a week or so when I can devote a lot of time to looking around, and making a purchase.
    Yeah, a place like that will jumpstart you into cigars for sure! Don't be too worried about being burned out, if you find yourself getting burned out, then you just ease back on the throttle a little. Have you had any of the cigars i sent you yet?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    Yeah, a place like that will jumpstart you into cigars for sure! Don't be too worried about being burned out, if you find yourself getting burned out, then you just ease back on the throttle a little. Have you had any of the cigars i sent you yet?
    Yes, I smoked the La Flor Dominicana El Jocko Figurado, and it tasted great. I liked its shape and with the maduro wrapper it looked like a real stogie. Maybe because it was a windy day (I smoke outside) but I could only smoke it halfway, after that it just wouldn't stay lit and it burned unevenly from the very beginning. I'll have to go to my new place, Wonderland Smoke Shop, and pick up another to try.
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

Thread Information