Thread: Feeling cheated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Feeling cheated

I went to the only place that sells good cigars in my area (the other shop is something like 50 miles away), and I bought a Fonseca. I was going to open the tube to inspect the wrapper and the guy that was following me to make sure I wasn't stealing got very upset and told me not to open it. the next day I went to the pool hall to have some fun and enjoy one of my favorite cigars. I had a nice cut and I started to light it and it was very hard to draw. I could feel it was way to tightly rolled, and I tried to massage it loose, but it wasn't happening. I ended up giving up on trying to smoke it, because I thought the guys at the shop would gladly replace it to keep me loyal. I went in and told them what happened and they told me to poke it with a toothpick next time. I was furious but I drove all that way and wanted some cigars. so I shook it off and bought 4 cigars one of which was a Tatuaje Havana VI I think. I went home to do some yard work and I decided light it up. half way through it, it started to unravel! It completely fell apart when it got down to the last two inches. I don't have the money to buy boxes, so I feel trapped going to these people who see me as a criminal cause I'm not in slacks and a polo when i go in there. I love a good cigar but if this is what its like buying them locally I may lose interest really quick. I think its a lot of... Am I expecting to much from these people to actually care whether there cigars are quality?

Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent.

I don't think you're expecting too much at all. Their number 1 priority should be helping you out and making sure your cigar experiences are the best they can be. There's no B&M close to me now, but when I lived in VA my B&M owner was VERY friendly and most definitely did not follow you around accusing you of being a criminal! I would not go back there, find a reputable online dealer, there are several. The cigar quality could just be the manufacturers, but I'll bet they aren't storing them correctly in the shop....
    Brian Wells

Is this the same guy who told you that a humi-bag will last 6 months when used every day as a humidor?

A couple of things... when you buy a cigar in a tube, you can certainly open it to inspect it. If the shop clerk doesn't want you to open it before you buy it, inspect it in front of him after you pay for it. If it looks bad ask him to replace it.

As for the unraveling, are you sure you cut the cap correctly? Cutting the cigar too far down will cause the cigar to unravel every time.

I take it the person you are dealing with is the manager / owner. If so I don't think there is much you can do. Try ordering on line there are several vender's who provide outstanding service and quick delivery.

After being treated like that I would just do my business elsewhere. I think some shop owners don't realize the competion they're up against sometimes. My B&M owner was telling me that JR's will sell a box cheaper than what he gets it for at cost. Then he has to mark up his profit plus tax. They should treat you with respect and do anything to keep you happy and coming back for more.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

6. Default

I don't think i have ever met the true owner. mainly its the older guys that treat me badly but the younger guys just ask if I need help. they are very friendly, but there something like six people that work there. so its kind of a crap shoot on which person is working.

They never actually called me a criminal but when I walk in they get up real quick when they see I'm going in the cigar room.

Yes that is the same guy that told me about the humi- bag.

I believe there cigars are in very good conditions. they have a large humidifier and there are in a different part of the shop.

Blog Entries

That's a shame. There is really only one B&M close to me. I know when who works when, so if there is someone I try to avoid, I know when they work. But I've made it a point to meet the owner, attend events they hold, etc. I hang out there when I can, meet the regulars, etc. In addition to this place, I've learned a lot about cigars there. There are certainly guys that get "run out" of there, but they've deserved it.

From what you've described, you don't deserve this treatment. I would maybe try to find out when the younger guys work, or ask the older guys for suggestions. Maybe don't pick a cigar from a tube? Just about everyone that works and hangs out at my local B&M is more than willing to provide suggestions.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information