Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segway Training

1. Default Segway Training

Yesterday I got certified on the department's Segway Personal Transporters. Holy Shit...What an experence.

Imagine a fifty year old cop putting on a spiffy looking helmet and mounting one of these damned machines.

Imagine a fifty year old cop hitting the pavement twice and getting cuts and bruises on his legs, arms, and hands.

Imagine the pain a fifty year old cop feels when trying to walk around the day after.

Never again will I ride one.

This post is worthless without pics!

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

I agree with DG, pictures are needed

Blog Entries

I have heard those things are not easy to use. Got to ride one at a conference in NYC in '06. I think I crashed a few times as well.

I'm wondering how feasible they really are. Where would they best be deployed? It's almost like you'd need a separate pedestrian lane for just those, like the current sidewalk and bike lane. I don't know.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I have heard those things are not easy to use. Got to ride one at a conference in NYC in '06. I think I crashed a few times as well.

I'm wondering how feasible they really are. Where would they best be deployed? It's almost like you'd need a separate pedestrian lane for just those, like the current sidewalk and bike lane. I don't know.
    Our local university TSU has some in use. Large, spread-out campus and miles of sidewalks. Steps are a problem. They are very useful in manufacturing plants, like for robotics techs, etc. to cover thousands of sq ft instead of walking. I considered a franchise a couple years back. They is potential but I was afraid of the liabilities. Now the off-road model is cool, like even for the golf course.

The NYPD have a full regiment of Segwayers. No offense, but the stereotype remains true for many NYPD'ers and they certainly don't need less walking.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

7. Default

Our School Resource Officers use them. We are also using them for events like the fair and downtown events. I'll stick to the old fashioned methods of getting from point A to point B.

For those of you wanting pics...Tuff shit.

Blog Entries

The people who have the hang of using them make it look easy. What makes them crash hitting a rock or crack in the pavement? You would think its like riding a bike once you find the balance your all set.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

This was from a couple of years ago. Maybe they got some of the bugs worked out, but it seems there's a lot more to it than there is to riding a bike.

http://www.segwayexposed.com

I had a buddy who won a segway at a company raffle/contest. 3 days later they contacted himthat is was being recalled and gave him $3000. hahah

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    This was from a couple of years ago. Maybe they got some of the bugs worked out, but it seems there's a lot more to it than there is to riding a bike.

http://www.segwayexposed.com
    It's much more than riding a bike...Trust me.

It worked pretty effectively for the security in the mall I used to manage a store at.

The mall was 1.7 million square feet, so they had a few guards on Segways to make it more effective to cover more mall.

Other than that, I dunno. Why not just get a bike? Or walk? Aren't they a pain to get up and down curbs and such?
    America is all about tolerance. We love tolerance, we love the melting pot, and we hate intolerance...

Unless its directed towards a freakin' smoker.

Blog Entries

Just ran across this today. It looks like you'd kill yourself just trying to drive it, much less use it in traffic.

When are we going to go to http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumplobb.htm? I have wanted one of those for years.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

GM/Segway "Puma" soon to hit the streets. If the gyro fails you will be skidding down the street on your face.

I had won a round of golf for 4 with Segways. Talk about Dumb. They say it will speed up the game. I am suprised my clubs are still straight. Dont get me wrong they are a lot of fun but not on a golf coarse that was built on the north face of a mountain. It was a day I will NEVER forget.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

It goes 35 MPH, and its on a lithium ion battery that doesn't hold enough of a charge.

Still impractical other than for downtown driving.

The Smart Car from Mercedes is better if you're looking for a small fuel efficient commuter car, even though I still would stay away from it lol.

I love my Audi too much.
    America is all about tolerance. We love tolerance, we love the melting pot, and we hate intolerance...

Blog Entries

Look, I understand the underlying desire for a more compact, fuel-efficient automobile. I really do. In congested areas, especially when people have long commutes to work, both cost and space are factors in making smart transportation decisions.

But I'm kind of sick of the kowtowing towards one hyped-up demographic. I have never had an automobile I've fit in. I am very uncomfortable on long road trips. Try as I might to keep my back straight by sitting with good posture, my legs are always cramped, and I have to duck down to see traffic lights out of the windshield. Why does it have to be this way? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a large truck that is TRULY a large truck; something I could comfortably fit in, and, you know, maybe enjoy driving. Instead, the world and everything in it keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Drives me nuts.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I know what ya mean.

I'm 6'2" so somethings are hard to fit into... but I'm fairly thin, so as long as a car has a lot of leg room, I'm ok. I also wear a size 13 shoe, so its hard to find shoes sometimes. It's a good thing I work for Clark's and can order the shoes I want from other stores lol

My Audi's chair can go so far back its touching the backseat, and I can't touch the gas pedals. It's great if you need a roomy front seat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Look, I understand the underlying desire for a more compact, fuel-efficient automobile. I really do. In congested areas, especially when people have long commutes to work, both cost and space are factors in making smart transportation decisions.

But I'm kind of sick of the kowtowing towards one hyped-up demographic. I have never had an automobile I've fit in. I am very uncomfortable on long road trips. Try as I might to keep my back straight by sitting with good posture, my legs are always cramped, and I have to duck down to see traffic lights out of the windshield. Why does it have to be this way? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a large truck that is TRULY a large truck; something I could comfortably fit in, and, you know, maybe enjoy driving. Instead, the world and everything in it keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Drives me nuts.
    Try a Tundra. I love mine. I trade every 3 years and have tried them all. I've had the Tundra for a year now and not a single problem.

Blog Entries

I drive a Tundra. I love it. I guess my only two regrets are that it's a single cab, and it's 2-wheel drive. But aside from that, it works great. The air works great.

It IS small, though. For me, anyways. A few months ago, I went looking through consumer reports and searched other forums for automobiles that specifically fit large people. I am 6'8", and about 270.

I was thinking something along the lines of this.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information