Thread: Tobacco processing

Blog Entries

Default Tobacco processing

Here are the steps that I will use in the tobacco plant project to process the tobacco:

1. pick the leaves
    2. hang the leaves up to color-cure (dry) takes about 3-5 weeks on average.
    3. ferment the leaves
    4. age the leaves
    5. roll the leaves
    6. age the rolled leaves
    7. smoke the rolled up leaves

I will accomplish 1-2-4-5-6-7 the traditional way, using methods that have been used for hundreds of years. Nothing modern except a few coat hangers to replace the thread.

Step 3....ah, the fermenting process.
    Fraught with danger and very, very, particular in it's conditions, depending on the desired result. The traditional way is to use pilones, or very large stacks of leaves piled up with a thermometer buried in the middle. The internal temperature is monitored very closely, with certain temperature ranges and time durations producing different characteristics in the tobacco, i.e., higher heat for longer times = darker, sweeter tobacco...bingo, the maduro.

Pilones are very labor intensive. This process can take another 3-5 weeks.....and sometimes the tobacco is allowed to "dry" again and age for awhile, then brought back into case (re-hydrated) and fermented again!! Think of the triple fermented wrapper on the Diamond Crown.....three cycles of this entire process with very precisely controlled conditions.

Now, let's talk my reality. I ain't gonna be making any pilones. I ain't gonna be stacking and restacking. Here's what I'm gonna do, it's called sweating:
    Once the leaves are color-cured, I'm gonna get me a big ass ziplock baggie. I'm going to bring the leaves back into case, stuff some in a ziplock and put it in the direct sun. I'll take them out every evening, shake them off, let them dry out a bit and then put them back in.....wash/rinse/repeat untill the ammonia smell stops and the sweet tobacco smell takes over. This process should take me about 2-3 weeks per ziplock to ferment to a dark shade....less dark = less time.

I will most likely process 1/3 of my harvest using this manner yet this year. The rest will be aged until next spring and then fermented.

So, whaddya think? Does this constitute "cooking" the tobacco? Would you consider this an adulteration of the tobacco?
    Last edited by ashauler; 08-12-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Are you accepting contracts for futures? Put me down for a fiver!

Or just one, whatever.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Are you accepting contracts for futures? Put me down for a fiver!

Or just one, whatever.
    IF, and yes, that's a big IF, I get something that is even 1/2 way decent to smoke, I'm sure I'll be inclined to share. At the very least, the bastid that roped my ass into this thing will have to smoke one. Just think of it, the first on your block to have a Kansas, U.S.A. puro!!

Right now I'll just settle for it not killing me!!

Blog Entries

An excellent candidate for the PPP IV, if you ask me!

And I think it would qualify:

Let's say you say you work for minimum wage. Let's just say that minimum wage in the great state of Kansas is $7 an hour. Considering the time it took you to plant and raise those plants, then pick the leaves, dry them, cure them, etc. I think you'd have a rather expensive cigar.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

5. Default

I'm afraid you might have mold problems with the zip-lock bag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    An excellent candidate for the PPP IV, if you ask me!

And I think it would qualify:

Let's say you say you work for minimum wage. Let's just say that minimum wage in the great state of Kansas is $7 an hour. Considering the time it took you to plant and raise those plants, then pick the leaves, dry them, cure them, etc. I think you'd have a rather expensive cigar.
    Dont forget any additional materials needed (i.e. insecticide, pods, etc). I wonder if it would qualify since it probably won't be listed in Cigarclopedia..lol

Disclamer:
    *just being a smart ass*

I definitely agree with Sarge. I'd go with a paper bag. When drying wood, plastic is a guaranteed mold factory, even for just a few hours. Otherwise it sounds like a good plan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    I definitely agree with Sarge. I'd go with a paper bag. When drying wood, plastic is a guaranteed mold factory, even for just a few hours. Otherwise it sounds like a good plan.
    You'd think so, but you're sweating this tobacco into fermentation. It would breathe in a paper bag. I've been reading on some of the same "prepare your tobacco" forums Ash has, and this is a recommended method for this type of sweating.

That's not to say it's the best way to do this, but it's certainly the most economical and efficient.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I'm afraid you might have mold problems with the zip-lock bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    Valid concerns fellas, and one that I share, however, since I have been reading and studying this process, I have become less concerned with mold forming during this part of the process than I am during the color-curing/drying phase. There is much more moisture in the leaf during this stage than during the fermenting stage.

Remember, the leaf has been completely dried out, including the mid-rib, before this process begins, and will only be barely "in case" when placed in the bag. When I remove the leaves each evening they will be allowed to hang for several hours, perhaps even overnight, before being replaced in the bag for the next day's sun. The action of going into, and out of case actually works to prevent the formation of mold........or at least that's what I'm told.

This is the reason I've kept some "junk" leaves and have them drying and am going to simply store some of the harvested leaf over the winter and ferment in the spring. If during the first attempt mold becomes a problem, back to the drawing board I go. There are products that can be applied to prevent mold/fungus growth.

Fermentation shouldn't need sunlight. I would try it in a small cooler with a stone on top of the leaves pushing them down. If your set on doing the bag, grab a packet or two of silica gel out of a package or two of beef jerky. It will help keep the moisture down when the leaves heat up. Plus you get to eat a couple of packs of beef jerky.

Edit: and by small cooler I mean just big enough to close with the tobacco and stone in it.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 08-12-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: clarification

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Fermentation shouldn't need sunlight. I would try it in a small cooler with a stone on top of the leaves pushing them down. If your set on doing the bag, grab a packet or two of silica gel out of a package or two of beef jerky. It will help keep the moisture down when the leaves heat up. Plus you get to eat a couple of packs of beef jerky.

Edit: and by small cooler I mean just big enough to close with the tobacco and stone in it.
    I'm after the heat, not necessarily the sunlight. I could accomplish the same thing on top of the water heater, it would just take longer. I like the idea of the bag simply because the contents will be visible at all times. That way I can see the build up of moisture in the bag and take appropriate action quickly.

Makes sense to me.

I expect barber-pole baseball bats and chili peppers rolled to rival the flavors of Pepin and with the rolling skills of Fuente.

By your estimation, or guess, how many cigars do you think you can get out of the leaves you have?

This is a really cool project and I am glad you are sharing it with us. Keep up the good work!
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU View Post
    By your estimation, or guess, how many cigars do you think you can get out of the leaves you have?

This is a really cool project and I am glad you are sharing it with us. Keep up the good work!
    Let's see:
    4 plants of wrapper tobacco (florida sumatra)
    8 plants of filler/binder tobacco

Really, I have no idea, but I would suspect around a dozen if everything works out just right.....1 cigar per plant, maybe, though some experienced growers and rollers say 3-6 cigars per plant.

It takes somewhere around 6 to 8 half-leaves, 18" in length, of filler/binder tobacco and one half leaf of quality wrapper to produce one 6.5 x 50 ish cigar....or so I'm told.
    Last edited by ashauler; 08-13-2010 at 12:44 PM.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

It simply amazes me just how much work and effort goes into producing these cigars. It is no wonder that they are not even more expensive than they are. I am looking forward to hearing how they finally turn out. It would be interesting to see your review your own cigar along with a few others. Good luck with the process. Roger.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Once you get those bad boys rolled up I have some ideas for custom bands for you...

or maybe...

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Hmmmmm, buzz, I'm thinking you have hit on a contest idea for me. Wonder what kind of "label stock" could be had that would allow these to be actually printed and used as bands.

ETA: answered my own question in record time. http://www.onlinelabels.com/cigars/cigar-labels.htm

This is a great project and you've done an amazing job keeping the forum posted! Great job!

As far as the band goes I want to throw in a model or two also! I think that you should give one of your puros away as a prize! ;)

Again great job, I've been reading these posts since I joined the board, I may want to start one of these projects next year.

Blog Entries

Isn't it just a whole lot easier to buy Muniemakers?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Isn't it just a whole lot easier to buy Muniemakers?
    Sure. If only my goal was a cheap smoke.

Thread Information