Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to your site, saying hello

Default Newbie to your site, saying hello

Howdy Cigar Folk!

Thought I'd drop in and say hello. Been lurking around the 'gar-webs for a few years now, but just now joining in at this fine establishment.

Any other Oregon (or S. Wash) folk around?

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board. I see in your profile you list "horticulture"......do you grow tobacco?

Blog Entries

Welcome from AZ. There are a couple guys here from Oregon... but they are crazy-strange.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Welcome from MA.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Hi. Welcome from central Oregon. We are, without a doubt, the strangest.

Yeah, do you grow your own?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Well, I do grow own food, flowers, and medicines, but tobacco is quite elusive to me at the moment. Being up past the 45th parallel makes growing tobacco nearly impossible from what I've been told. Plus, our wineries around my home use Botrytis on their grapes to raise the brix level for late-harvest batches and Ice Wines, which can and do infect leafy plants quite badly.

We are hoping for a more sunny local to move to in the near future, but Oregon is home for the moment. When I first moved here I was told, "if you ever get on the TriMax (public transit), and don't see a crazy person.....you ARE the crazy person". Still holds very true.

Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DailyTobacconist View Post
    Well, I do grow own food, flowers, and medicines, but tobacco is quite elusive to me at the moment. Being up past the 45th parallel makes growing tobacco nearly impossible from what I've been told. Plus, our wineries around my home use Botrytis on their grapes to raise the brix level for late-harvest batches and Ice Wines, which can and do infect leafy plants quite badly.

We are hoping for a more sunny local to move to in the near future, but Oregon is home for the moment. When I first moved here I was told, "if you ever get on the TriMax (public transit), and don't see a crazy person.....you ARE the crazy person". Still holds very true.

Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll!
    Well, you probably know more than I do, but I'm afraid you've been given incorrect information. Tobacco can most certainly be grown in your location.

Well, sounds like I have a new project on the horizon. ;)

We are planning a move to Ft. Collins, Colorado sometime later this year/beginning of next and will have much more land that we currently have available.

Blog Entries

Well, sounds like I have a new project on the horizon. ;)

We are planning a move to Ft. Collins, Colorado sometime later this year/beginning of next and will have much more land that we currently have available.
    Cool....but, ya know, you can grow tobacco in a 5 gallon bucket. Anyway, welcome to the board.

Welcome from just north of the 49th!

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Cool....but, ya know, you can grow tobacco in a 5 gallon bucket. Anyway, welcome to the board.
    I did. And we're on the east side (read windy) side of Bend. First try last summer, both plants were about 4 feet in height.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from Corvallis, OR. You must be in the Portland area?
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Yes, Beaverton to be exact.

Welcome.
    On the topic of growing your own: I would be interested in how average rainfall affects tobacco growth. I'll have to spends some time on the ole' Google.

I might have to start procuring some good tobacco seeds and get ready for the growing season. Anyone have recommendations?

Welcome!

What kind of medicines do you grow?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FightingFish View Post
    Welcome.
    On the topic of growing your own: I would be interested in how average rainfall affects tobacco growth. I'll have to spends some time on the ole' Google.
    The first two years I grew it, I was in Louisiana, where they average between 50 and 60 inches per year. I got some pretty big plants, and my growing season was kind of long (early April through Thanksgiving). You probably shouldn't let them grow that long, but I was more into it for decoration rather than cultivation & smoking, so it worked for me. But even last year, up here in the high desert area, where I don't think we had 3 inches of rain all summer (much shorter growing season here in central Oregon), they didn't grow as big, but I could have cared for them a lot better as well.

I might have to start procuring some good tobacco seeds and get ready for the growing season. Anyone have recommendations?
    I'd recommend searching around in this forum. There's good information, resources, etc. to be found!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FightingFish View Post
    Welcome.
    In addition to what mrtr33 said, low rainfall and stress to the plant (extreme heat, etc...) tend to increase the nicotine content of the harvested tobacco. Overly wet conditions, especially at the time of harvest, will increase the curing time and the susceptibility of the plant to various molds and diseases. You want the plant to have as little moisture in the leaves as possible when harvested.

Hello and welcome from Northern Alberta, Canada!

I was looking at your post about living in Beaverton and was thinking to myself, that sounds awful familiar and then it hit me. My step-daugher lives in Beaverton, OR and we were there last June. Well, we camped just west of Portland at LL "Stub" Stewart campground and they did too but we went into Beaverton the one day to load up on food.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

20. Default

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new too, but learning more about cigars here everyday.

Thread Information