Thread: How long outside a humidor?

1. Default How long outside a humidor?

Just got back from Victoria, BC where I purchased myself my first cigar--a Montecristo #1. I figured my first (albeit illicit) one ought to at least be a classic, yes? I don't plan on getting into the whole hobbyist portion of it (at least, not until I've at least smoked that first cigar), so I'm not terribly concerned with too many things at the moment other than just smoking what I already have.

I currently have the cigar tucked away in a relatively-airtight metal cylinder purchased along with the cigar. Out of curiosity, how much time can a cigar be out of a humidor before it goes "bad"? I bought it last Wednesday, and I was planning on smoking it this Wednesday, so only a week will have elasped. Do cigars lose their luster after such a short time out of the humidor, or will it still be OK since it's in the metal cylinder? Thanks!

2. Default

I imagine it would be okay...

3. Default

Assuming the container is relatively air tight it'll be fine. I had a cigar or two that were just sitting in the plastic bag they came in (not a humi pack) with the ocassional small slice of apple and they were just dandy.

4. Default

That's good to hear, then. I'm not really worried about not getting the perfect smoke my first time, but mostly concerned that in waiting a week I had ruined a perfectly-good $25 cigar. I mean, that's a lot of money for a non-hobbyist....

5. Default

I suggest tossing it in a freezer bag. That'll help keep it wet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AGSHender
    That's good to hear, then. I'm not really worried about not getting the perfect smoke my first time, but mostly concerned that in waiting a week I had ruined a perfectly-good $25 cigar. I mean, that's a lot of money for a non-hobbyist....
    I think that's a lot of money regardless of your hobby state!
    puro pot pass VI loser

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by illilli
    I think that's a lot of money regardless of your hobby state!
    I bet a lot of it is tax. Some states are nearly doubling prices on tobaco products, making your in reality $12.50 cigar now a $25 cigar.

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

Quote Originally Posted by AGSHender
    Just got back from Victoria, BC where I purchased myself my first cigar--a Montecristo #1.
    He didnt get it from the states, its not high taxes from here. I have no idea what the tax is like in Canada, but since they get free health care, ill have to say it pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy_Fan
    He didnt get it from the states, its not high taxes from here. I have no idea what the tax is like in Canada, but since they get free health care, ill have to say it pretty high.
    True words. Everything is taxed here. I had to pay a core disposal tax when I bought an apple!

LOL..I'm from Canada also...I totally understand (56.6% tx on cigars) !!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynorest
    LOL..I'm from Canada also...I totally understand (56.6% tx on cigars) !!
    80%
    I win...er, lose!

Thread Information