Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SmokinDVM

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    he's only a year old and probably the smartest dog i've owned.
    Hydrocephalus is the condition in chihuahuas that prevents the fontanel from closing. If not severe, no problemo. If it's severe it can cause neuro problems and even death.
    Sounds like your pup is just fine

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    barry...thanks for all the info......my 12 year old cocker spaniel (the one we spoke about last summer) has cherry eye.......can anything be done (short of surgery) to clear this??....
    If it's not too severe a condition, medication like NeoDex eye ointment can be used to help reduce some of the swelling. You may need to medicate every day to keep it under control.
    Keeping it from drying out is the key. If too severe, surgery may be the only route to go.

Blog Entries

My cat ate Iams dry cat food. I have never fed him wet cat food. He weighs about 15-16 pounds. His bread is Maine Coon. About 4 months ago we had to put my other kitty to sleep because of a behavioral issue. This is when I noticed that the Iams cat food was not being eaten by the Maine coon. He will eat the treats but not the Iams. I tried changing the dry food 3 different times and I even resorted to wet food and tender vittles he will not eat anything but temptations treats. I even stop giving him the treats when he got hungry enough he eat the Iams and then threw it up. He is not losing any weight and he looks and acts the way he always has acted. I am not sure in the long run how just eating treats will effect him. Anyhow I should of taking him to the vet when all this began but I was thinking he was sad missing his Friend and just not eating the good food. But when I saw he threw it up it worrying me a bit. Thanks

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Cinda,

You should really try to find a good cat food that your kitty will eat, and can tolerate. I don't know much about those specific treats, but treats in general aren't made to be a balanced diet. Try something other than Iams. I like to feed Science Diet, you could try their sensitive stomach formula.

Most of the time, it's a matter of who has the most will-power.

One my cats has Irritable Bowel Syndrome so she (used to) throw up a lot. We wound up trying everything from Science Diet to Wellness (human quality ingredients) to organic. Took us about a month a lots of food (donated to the shelter) but we now use a combination of Science Diet Nature's Harvest & Fancy Feast (dry). She doesn't throw up anymore.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    One my cats has Irritable Bowel Syndrome so she (used to) throw up a lot. We wound up trying everything from Science Diet to Wellness (human quality ingredients) to organic. Took us about a month a lots of food (donated to the shelter) but we now use a combination of Science Diet Nature's Harvest & Fancy Feast (dry). She doesn't throw up anymore.
    IBD can be a pain in the ass.

Seriously, sometimes IBD can't be controlled with diet alone. Sometimes it takes a combo of prescription diets and medication. For cats with severe IBD, I use a pharmacy that compounds meds for us into a suspension that can be flavored. Most cats prefer the seafood or chicken flavors, but they have many others.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM
    IBD can be a pain in the ass.

Seriously, sometimes IBD can't be controlled with diet alone. Sometimes it takes a combo of prescription diets and medication. For cats with severe IBD, I use a pharmacy that compounds meds for us into a suspension that can be flavored. Most cats prefer the seafood or chicken flavors, but they have many others.
    You have noooo idea (well, you probably have a very good idea) - $3k, a biopsy, and shaved belly later, that's as good as they can come up with. Any time she starts getting it (last bout with canned tuna) she gets metronidazole(sp?) and Pepcid. She's had more Pepcid in her two years than I've had in my lifetime.

Hair loss, or alopecia, can be from several different causes. Stress is definitely one of the possibilities, especially if she's done this before. However, when stressed, they more commonly pull the hair out on their abdomen, not their back. If you use a good flea prevention, like Frontline or Advantage, then I would have the Vet check it. Even if it's just stress, they may be able to stop the problem with an injection of Depomedrol, or they may see evidence of some other cause.
    She's never had any problems with hair loss. It appears to be falling out. She's due for a checkup in May, so we'll hope for good news. Thanks for the response.

You have noooo idea (well, you probably have a very good idea) - $3k, a biopsy, and shaved belly later, that's as good as they can come up with. Any time she starts getting it (last bout with canned tuna) she gets metronidazole(sp?) and Pepcid. She's had more Pepcid in her two years than I've had in my lifetime.
    Wow, $3k.
    I used to try to talk people into spending the cash to do the biopsy thing, just to see if we could get a definitive diagnosis. After being disappointed 95% of the time, I quit doing them, for the most part. What I do now is use a med trial. I've found that IBD almost always responds to Metronidazole, maybe not completely but it at least improves a little. If I get some response with the meds, it's 99.95% sure to be IBD. If it doesn't completely clear with Metronidazole alone, I may add a special diet or even a steroid for a short while.
    If they get worse during the med trial, or don't clear at all, I will suggest the other tests.
    Since I do all the Ultrasound exams in the Clinic, I should probably push those a little more

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    She's never had any problems with hair loss. It appears to be falling out. She's due for a checkup in May, so we'll hope for good news. Thanks for the response.
    A couple of questions...
    Does it seem to itch, does she lick/chew at the area alot?
    Are the hairs in the area in question appear to be broken in different lengths, or is it all the same, or close to the same length?

DVM,

We have a Cockatiel. She appeared on my shoulders about 5 years ago out of nowhere while I was bbq’ing on my deck one summer evening. She is a beautiful and loyal bird. A couple of questions: How long does this species of bird live on average? –and- We are about to move next week. Is there anything we can do to reduce any stress brought on to the bird during this transition?
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders
    DVM,

We have a Cockatiel. She appeared on my shoulders about 5 years ago out of nowhere while I was bbq’ing on my deck one summer evening. She is a beautiful and loyal bird. A couple of questions: How long does this species of bird live on average? –and- We are about to move next week. Is there anything we can do to reduce any stress brought on to the bird during this transition?
    Cockatiels average 10-14 years although they have been known to live into their 20's. IIRC, the oldest known was in it's early 30's.

I don't work with Avians much anymore, but I believe that most of these guys travel pretty well. I would suggest you use their cage, or a travel carrier can be purchased from a pet store. Remove any toys or swings, and secure the cage/carrier in with a seatbelt or other strap.

13. Default

I was recently blessed with a Cockatiel. He resides in my computer room. He is now a faithful reader of CS. Baby, the Cockatiel sits on my shoulder as I surf the net...Too cool.

When I was in Vet. School, I volunteered in the Avian nursery. We would hand raise several types of psittacines, and once weaned and well socialized, we would send them on to the people who purchased them.
    We had several birds that were donated by people who had bought them, not realizing how long they really live, only to have to will them to the school when they died. We had a 50year old African Grey that we recieved that way, sweetest old bird.

The first Clinic I worked at, after Vet school, had a couple that would board their 2 Cockatoos with us. Those 2 birds would argue back and forth for hours, in their owners voices and rather colorful language. Most entertaining birds I've ever seen.

A couple of questions...
    Does it seem to itch, does she lick/chew at the area alot?
    Are the hairs in the area in question appear to be broken in different lengths, or is it all the same, or close to the same length?
    She doesn't seem to be licking the area. It's in the middle of her back just in front of her hind legs. The area is getting larger and it is the whole hair. She seems to feel ok and isn't acting strange other than her decrease in appetite. It's starting to look like a reverse mohawk. We'll be taking her to the vet on Wednesday if we can.

Default Hey Doc

Hey Doc,

I gotta say - thank you for answering all of our questions and concerns on pets. I realize you don't have to, so I really appreciate it - especially since I (and I'm sure lots of folks on the board) treat them more like family than pets. That and the dialog that you have and are developing on this (your) vet thread. Speaks a lot to your bedside/petside manner. Means a lot to me personally, and I thought I'd air it publicly.

Hey Doc,

I gotta say - thank you for answering all of our questions and concerns on pets. I realize you don't have to, so I really appreciate it - especially since I (and I'm sure lots of folks on the board) treat them more like family than pets. That and the dialog that you have and are developing on this (your) vet thread. Speaks a lot to your bedside/petside manner. Means a lot to me personally, and I thought I'd air it publicly.

I second that!!!! Thanks again Doc!!!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    She doesn't seem to be licking the area. It's in the middle of her back just in front of her hind legs. The area is getting larger and it is the whole hair. She seems to feel ok and isn't acting strange other than her decrease in appetite. It's starting to look like a reverse mohawk. We'll be taking her to the vet on Wednesday if we can.
    Hair loss, in the area you're describing, is most often caused by fleas. But, get her checked just in case.
    Let me know what they find.

Thanks mauied and Roham,

If I didn't like what I do, I'd be looking for a new line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    Question. Me and my Mom are having a discussion. She says that if I don't get my two year old female Shephard "fixed" her chances of Ovarian cancer go up, unless she has babies. If I find a proper boyfriend for her I would like puppies, but the chances aren't that great. I don't think I want her fixed either, unless it is beneficial to her health. I love her a lot after all So, if she doesn't end up having puppies, should I have her fixed? Thanks in advance.
    I might be late on this, but oh well. You should definately fix your dog. Your mom is right about the cancer thing, it will decrease their chances for not only ovarian but also for what I guess is the equivalent of breast cancer. The other thing is unless you're seriously considering breeding her, you need to have her fixed. Many people think they can just breed their dog and make money off the puppies, but it is actually a big pain in the ass. It's hard enough just to find a stud with papers, and then you have to time everything correctly. My other argument is if you fix her, then you don't have to deal with her being in heat 2-3 times a year, which we all know is a real blast.
    End of line.

Thread Information