Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
Sounds like the extended warranty would be a very good idea.
One of the places I was looking at this morning actually has a year extended in-home warranty w/annual cleaning for $300. I'll take that kind of insurance.

I'm not planning to buy anything until at least mid-October, when I'm going down to a friend's house (who happens to have a 50" samsung). By then, the prices will probably be so low I can get the TV + extended warranty for what I'd pay for the TV today...

Chuck,

My brother-in-law (he does know, despite harv's insistence he doesn't) says you're out of your mind if you do not purchase the extended warranty. He's seeing well over 50% of the new sets coming in for repairs. That's WAY up compared to the way it way it was years ago. Given the complexity of the new sets (DLP has lots of moving mirrors and have had problems), and that the repairs are much more costly than they used to be, the extra insurance is actually a wise investment.

I had a Sony projection TV. Thinking it was a great company and I shouldn't have to purchase an extended warranty, I did not. One of the guns failed - which meant I had to replace all three. The cost of repair would have been more than the set was worth - and rivaled what it cost me to replace it. Needless to say - I have an extended warranty on my new set...