Thread: Hard Cider again

Default Hard Cider again

Hard cider again
    I made up about 13 gallons of hard cider. Pretty simple recipe this time.

First batch, High gravity peach cider - a little different than the other recipe.

5 gallons fresh pressed apple cider, pressed that day. I pasteurized it myself.

5 lbs. sugar

7 lbs. peaches (dealt with as in the peach cider recipe.)

Yeast nutrients.

Wine yeast.

2: High gravity plain cider

same as above, but without peaches.

3: 3 gallons cider

yeast nutrients

wine yeast

NOTE - no added sugar - I wanted to see if I would like a low alcohol version. (that's why I only made 3 gallons)

I added sugar to the first too to boost the alcohol level way up. You would never use cane sugar in beers because it produces cider-like flavors during germination, but seeing I'm making cider - doesn't matter one bit.

Blog Entries

Mmm...cider!

How long have you been home brewing? I've tried it a couple times down here in FL with mixed results. It's tough to keep constant, desirable conditions without a basement.

Of and on for about 10 years. I usually brew in the fall/winter and not in the spring/summer. I would give ales a try and keep them inside in the AC.

Don't bother with lagers unless you have a room that will stay in the low 50's.

You can do ciders or hard O.J. but will need lactose for the hard OJ to sweeten it because it will be really tart.

Thread Information