Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cubans

They sell tobacco to be used in other cigars. Up until a couple of years ago Villager boxes has the "Contains Cuban Tobacco" blacked out for Sale in American and claimed not to use cuban tobacco only in the cigars sold in the US.
    Last edited by nhcigarfan; 03-11-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    They sell tobacco to be used in other cigars. Up until a couple of years ago Villager boxes has the "Contains Cuban Tobacco" blacked out for Sale in American and claimed not to use cuban tobacco only in the cigars sold in the US.
    Interesting, Thanks

I've never had a Don Gabriel but it is my understanding that they buy cuban tobacco (filler and binder) and use a wrapper from somewhere else on their house brand.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Cuba grows and exports what, sugar cane (sugar), coffee and tobacco? Not much else. Although Cuba still sells many cigars to the rest of the world wouldn't you think that a lot (I mean mucho grande quantities) of surplus tobacco is regularly sold to Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Mexico, etc.? What is sold as "Cuban seed tobacco" is exactly that. Only it is actually grown in Cuba, shipped to another country where it is processed and then exported to the US.
    Am I dreaming here? If so, wake me up and tell me why not?
    Okay - you've established the Canary Islands and a few other small outlets have at some time or another put Cuban tobacco into their their products - but there is no information to support your question concerning "a lot (I mean mucho grande quantities) of surplus tobacco is regularly sold to Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Mexico, etc."

So the answer is still - NO

Default Stick it in and break it off

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Okay - you've established the Canary Islands and a few other small outlets have at some time or another put Cuban tobacco into their their products - but there is no information to support your question concerning "a lot (I mean mucho grande quantities) of surplus tobacco is regularly sold to Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Mexico, etc."

So the answer is still - NO
    I believe that my original question (it was a question???) was quite appropriately answered. chefchris and nhcigarfan were thorough and very informative. I don't know a lot about the Cuban trade so I speculate as to what might be. I'm not sure why you would like to drive it home one more time. But hey, if you feel better now then...
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 03-11-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Removed extremely foul language, twice

Deedub, Giese is just informing you that the canary island thing may stick, but the rest doesn't. He wasn't mean about it, trust me, that ain't anything close to mean on this or any other cigar board. So, don't get the panties in a bunch over something like this and think Giese is attacking you and your ego.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Gotcha, I'm not the best communicator and somewhat of a squareheaded German. But everything is cool and I love to join in the fun. If I get snippy just kick me in the ass.

I believe that my original question (it was a question???) was quite appropriately answered. chefchris and nhcigarfan were thorough and very informative. I don't know a lot about the Cuban trade so I speculate as to what might be. I'm not sure why you would like to drive it home one more time. But hey, if you feel better now then...
    You shouldn't alter your post after you post it - even to remove the "extremely foul language". You might not like the answer - and if you're man enough to toss around foul words - be man enough to stick by them and the consequences they bring. Maybe you won't be so inclined to toss around that nonsense the next time you feel so smited...

You tossed out a question - which (admittedly) was answered in some sort of fashion or another - although not fully accurately. The question is one that is oftentimes circulated. Even worse - the "theory" is many times stated as fact - nearly as often as the "grassy knoll" theory. Bothersome to those that keep seeing is circulate, because some fools latch on to it (this being the Internet) as the God-Spoken truth!

I suppose the accepted answer would be one that would make you feel better (i.e. - there IS Cuban tobacco in the cigars you smoke - WOO-HOO!!!). While some (as you say) have so "eloquently" answered your question - the question continued to remain comletely unanswered (except for my unacknowledged, lowly, horrible, "god forbid it's true!" opinion). Tough as it is to accept - The reality - nothing could be further from the truth...

I believe (unless someone has something else to offer) - the answer is still NO.

"You shouldn't alter your post after you post it - even to remove the "extremely foul language". You might not like the answer - and if you're man enough to toss around foul words - be man enough to stick by them and the consequences they bring. Maybe you won't be so inclined to toss around that nonsense the next time you feel so smited... "

I did not remove foul language, actually I didn't change anything, but it got your attention! I'm not into calling names but if I change my mind you will be the first to know.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 03-12-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I can't even say what I removed this time

"I suppose the accepted answer would be one that would make you feel better (i.e. - there IS Cuban tobacco in the cigars you smoke - WOO-HOO!!!). While some (as you say) have so "eloquently" answered your question - the question continued to remain comletely unanswered (except for my unacknowledged, lowly, horrible, "god forbid it's true!" opinion). Tough as it is to accept - The reality - nothing could be further from the truth... "

Actually, I respect anyone and everyone's opinion. Basically that's all any forum is, a quagmire of opinions and questions, and one must rely on discernment.
    However, getting chastised for asking a question or even proposing a "theory" is just not right.
    And, I did search before posting but got so many unrelated results that I just got tired of looking.

"You shouldn't alter your post after you post it - even to remove the "extremely foul language". You might not like the answer - and if you're man enough to toss around foul words - be man enough to stick by them and the consequences they bring. Maybe you won't be so inclined to toss around that nonsense the next time you feel so smited... "

By the way, I did not remove foul language, actually I didn't change anything, but it got your attention! I'm not into calling names but if I change my mind you will be the first to know.
    So the "Last edited by DeeDubya : Yesterday at 07:38 PM. Reason: Removed extremely foul language, twice" was not true? Interesting... Hmmm... Social misfit? Class Clown?

I'm sorry - musta missed it - I didn't see any "chastising" going on with your question. I believe I pointed out the theory of Cuban tobacco being put into cigars making their way into the US as being an age old issue, asked numerous times in various forms. It also has been routinely put forth as a "theory". I must admit - typically, though, it is proposed by slobbering knuckle-draggers with big foreheads that don't know any better. And, typically, those that buy into it are similarly endowed...

I've never met you - you haven't been around long - but I'm fairly confident you're not in the "typical" category. Please don't disappoint my high aspirations for you...

I did not remove foul language, actually I didn't change anything, but it got your attention! I'm not into calling names but if I change my mind you will be the first to know.
    Too late!!! I already captured what you removed!!!

If I get snippy just kick me in the ass.
    Done...

You slick devil, caught me in the act. That really pisses me off.

You slick devil, caught me in the act. That really pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Ummm... No...

"Cuban Seed" tobacco means that the seeds used to start the plant were originally from Cuba. However, the seed is now planted and harvested outside of Cuba. Supposedly these seeds were taken out of the country at the time of the Cuban revolution (or sometime thereafter) by Cuban tobacco growers looking to make a better life for themselves outside of the Cuban society.

The idea that "excess Cuban tobacco" being sent to other countries and making it's way into US destined cigars is a myth. Just as the "Pre-Embargo" tobacco that's "been stored in warehouses since before the Cuban revolution and forgotten until now" stories are myths.

Nope - Cuban tobacco makes it into Cuban cigars. "Cuban seed" tobacco grown in the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc. makes it into the NC cigars...

...it is a nice dream, though... Although I personally tend to like to dream about blondes on the beach...
    Chris, George, and maybe others have suggested that tobacco grown from Cuban seed outside of Cuba is from seed that was taken when the country transitioned to being virtually state-run.

I'll bet not. While seeds can remain viable for decades and even centuries, after a half century the (inevitable decrease of) viability would not sustain commercial purposes (enough to annually plant a few or many acres). And, after a Cuban seed is sprouted in non-Cuban soil, seeds from the resulting plant would then be non-Cuban.

Without researching it, I'm thinking that the only way non-Cuban brands can maintain that their tobacco is from Cuban seed is to buy that Cuban seed in order to use it for each new crop.

If this is accurate, I guess it follows that the US embargo of Cuban products stops at the gene.

To answer DeeDubya, I think the illegality of the Cuban cigar is a huge draw. Especially for folks who don't really smoke cigars. As others above have said, there are good, bad, and ugly cigars from any country that produces them, including Cuba. What's kinda fucked up in my mind is that an authentic Cuban, even if it is limited edition, aged 10 years, grown at the foot of a sacred, ancient volcano, and from Fidel's personal stash, it is completely goddamn wasted on a non or very occasional smoker because this person doesn't know a decent cigar from an over-hyped piece of CAO (or what have you) shit.

Now for a cigar smoker, well, and again, this is just me speculating, the real McCoy - one of any number of brands and fucking spare me the ko-hee-bahs too, with 3-4 years on it, on the strong side of medium, a good draw, with a diet Dr. Pepper in the back yard on a Sunday afternoon (and hell yeah it would add to the experience if somewhere on the band were the words "Cuba" or "Habano") . . . Well, fuck me. That would be fucking perfect.
    Last edited by basil; 03-12-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

16. Default

Ive always wondered if cuban grown tobacco was sold to other countries and than rolled/sold under diffrent name. I think that it might not be that good of a move being that if Cubans were legal in the US, most of there sales would be just because its a Cuban. If it wasnt know that it was Cuban tobacco most people (and I say most because a true cigar smoker will smoke what he like if it was cuban or not). Another thing ive been wondering. I see on some of the videos on Cigar Aficianado that they sometimes just come out and say that theyve smoked Cubans. I think in one particular video they are actually smoking a Cuban. Than sometimes at the end the will jokingly say I have never smoked or possesed a cuban cigar. Does that make it ok if you say that after the fact of just admitting to smoking one?

Quote Originally Posted by prostartjr1738 View Post
    Ive always wondered if cuban grown tobacco was sold to other countries and than rolled/sold under diffrent name. I think that it might not be that good of a move being that if Cubans were legal in the US, most of there sales would be just because its a Cuban. If it wasnt know that it was Cuban tobacco most people (and I say most because a true cigar smoker will smoke what he like if it was cuban or not). Another thing ive been wondering. I see on some of the videos on Cigar Aficianado that they sometimes just come out and say that theyve smoked Cubans. I think in one particular video they are actually smoking a Cuban. Than sometimes at the end the will jokingly say I have never smoked or possesed a cuban cigar. Does that make it ok if you say that after the fact of just admitting to smoking one?
    Read the Cigar Afficianado articles with Michael Jordan...

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Chris, George, and maybe others have suggested that tobacco grown from Cuban seed outside of Cuba is from seed that was taken when the country transitioned to being virtually state-run.

I'll bet not. While seeds can remain viable for decades and even centuries, after a half century the (inevitable decrease of) viability would not sustain commercial purposes (enough to annually plant a few or many acres). And, after a Cuban seed is sprouted in non-Cuban soil, seeds from the resulting plant would then be non-Cuban.

Without researching it, I'm thinking that the only way non-Cuban brands can maintain that their tobacco is from Cuban seed is to buy that Cuban seed in order to use it for each new crop.

If this is accurate, I guess it follows that the US embargo of Cuban products stops at the gene.
    Oh, Ted... Linky...

I don't think Cuba sells their tobacco, they have a limited production and have a hard enough time meeting demands. Sometimes even their own production is not up to "Cuban" expectations.

The Cuban cigars are better. Granted I've had good Nic or Honduran cigars, they aren't better. I'll take a RASCC, Monte #4, Siglo IV, VI, Mag 46, Partagas SDC #3, etc over any non Cuban cigar you can name, period.

Now I guess the Cubans do sell seeds to other countries, as some of the Tatuajes are Cuban seed. And they are pretty dang good cigars. Better than a #4? Not in my opinion. Better than a Cohiba Siglo VI? But they are good cigars. At their price? No.

I don't really know a whole lot about cubans, never had one. Whenever I mention cigars, though, I do almost always get asked whether I've had one (mostly by people who do not smoke cigars).
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information