Thread: Starting Construction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Now that's a lot of wood!

Ambient RH looks pretty good. (I could only find Austin RH data on-line http://www.txstate.edu/freemanranch/...limatology.pdf , as I can't access NOAA's detailed data because I'm not in the US.) Once your door is in, you can probably season the wood in the room by just opening that outside window at night!

What's your in-house RH like? I'm guessing that will drive how big a humidifier you will need.

I am assuming that there is no air exchange other than the door opening/closing, you are not planning on smoking in there (?), and your cooling is from the house interior via those big windows. You may have to point an oscillating fan (from inside the humidor) at the windows to reduce the windows' insulating efficiency and prevent condensation forming on the windows. Or maybe not, I'm just guessing from looking at the pics. (Glass is not a good insulator, but the thin layer of dead air up against the glass is. That's why double-glazed windows work.)

I'd be tempted to start with something like this one, which maxes at 65%RH: http://www.kaz.com/kaz/store/product...a8b4afac8ee4d/ (Honeywell HCM-6012I) The price of consumer units is so low compared to meant-for-cigars units ...

You can always plumb in an RO system somewhere where you can use it as a source of drinking/cooking water as well, and then later modify the reservoir for constant refilling.

Anyhow, just a suggestion. No doubt Bob Staebell can set you up with what you need without a lot of guessing/extra work/experimentation/etc. A lot of times it is worth the extra cost to pay for the "voice of experience."

Good luck!
    Craig,

Sorry to dissapoint you but I have already been smoking in there, a lot! Fortunately, I am a long way from storing cigars, and that little box fan sucks everything out when it's in the window. Yes, the condensation problem might occur, so we will have to wait and see. what happens there.

In-house RH is controlled at 50% more or less. I'm fortunate to have Bamboo flooring and Palmwood furniture and they don't like low humidity so I take care of them.

Oh, by the way I live only a few miles from TSU's Freeman Ranch. I would suspect that I am within .000001% of their average RH.

You're too kind. This helps me a lot. I have planned for a water connect. I have a water conditioner so I'm starting with soft or hard water (choice). Also, I have planned for electrical connections at that location.

I'll check out that humidifier. This forum is awesome, to have someone like you chime in and help solve some problems.

Smooth transition here: I know it's way too soon to be planning the trim-out phase, but scroll up and take another look at the 2" storage shelves. How would those look if faced with wine corks? We have a collection (yes we have other vises) of wine corks. I was thinking about halving corks and facing these ugly shelves. This takes a little imagination but I think you can see it. Also, it would be rainy-day project that we could do ahead of time.

Thanks again for the input.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 05-04-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Thread Information