Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness

Default Physical Fitness

This thread is not so much sports related as it is fitness related.

I just got a wake up call this morning. Half a day motorcyle riding followed by several hours cleaning up the garage.

This morning I could barely roll out of bed, my lower back is killing me

So this is my "Get back into the gym" thread.

I'll try to keep up with my progress and invite others to join in as they wish.

sammis

Blog Entries

I need to get in some sort of shape myself...

I picked up the golf clubs yesterday after about 12 years, after hitting a couple buckets and walking 18, I was beat down last night!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Good for you dude. Several years ago I got into backpacking. But, at the end of a 3-5 day trip I was toast. So, I started going to gym so that the trips would be more enjoyable. Now, I'm in the gym 5-6 times a week. No 2 hour iron pumping sessions - just usually some lifting and cardio. Abs every time. And I run at a track a couple of times a week too. For me, there's no substitute for a few miles running, although I added heavy bag workouts a couple of years ago - outstanding cardio workout.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Well Golf is probably quite a few months down the road, last time I swung a club i agravated a pinched nerve in my neck from an old car wreck

I've also spent the past few months putting together my camping stuff so I could go enjoy some peace and quiet. But after yesterday, that will have to wait a couple months also.

This is all my fault really, I know better.

Back in the day (a few decades or so) I was into powerlifting. I have the knowledge, but I've just been lazy, not to mention the girlfriend and work distractions.

So it's back to the basics, time to get this mass of flab moving again

I foresee a bunch of pain in my future, but now that I've resolved to get going again. it'll be all better....

eventually
    sammis

I get up at 3:30 AM every week day. By 3:45 AM I'm down in the basement doing free weights for the next hour or so. I walk a little over a mile from where I park to my job. 3 days a week I go mountain biking for 10 miles. Currently both of my little ones are playing sports. Softball and T-ball. I help out with each so at least 5 days a week I'm doing that. We go camping every weekend at our seasonal site we have.

The soreness never stops it just moves around.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

I got in late yesterday from my first outing of the year. Camping and rock climbing at the New River Gorge in WV. Definately feeling it today. Hopefully I recover quick as I'm going back out there on Thursday. A pack with a full rack of climbing gear can get to 40+ lbs really quick. I had a blast though. I'll try and post some photos when I get a chance.

Best of luck to everyone getting in shape. First couple of weeks are always the worst in my opinion.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

I'm turning into a regular marshmallow. Hard to believe I was in the military 10 years ago. IT job and 3/4 time college classes. All I do is move between locations and sit on my @$$! In between, I stress out a bit and overeat. My caffeine consumption is through the roof these days. I still manage to get a decent nights sleep most of the time.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by FactoredReality View Post
    I got in late yesterday from my first outing of the year. Camping and rock climbing at the New River Gorge in WV.
    Do you go with an outfitter or on your own? I went whitewater rafting down the New River last spring and loved it. We want to try the Gauley River in the fall when they open the dam and maybe some mountain biking.

Quote Originally Posted by FactoredReality View Post
    Best of luck to everyone getting in shape. First couple of weeks are always the worst in my opinion.
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    I'm turning into a regular marshmallow. Hard to believe I was in the military 10 years ago. IT job and 3/4 time college classes. All I do is move between locations and sit on my @$$! In between, I stress out a bit and overeat. My caffeine consumption is through the roof these days. I still manage to get a decent nights sleep most of the time.
    I know your pain. I'm in the IT field and the only shape it helps you get into is pear.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Hmmm I see a pattern here: I'm in IT as well

well this morning started the pain:

2 sets of 10 situps
    2 sets of a GPP exercise (General Physical Preparedness): 6 reps of each exercise one right after the other, using a standard weight barbell: Vertical Rows, Clean & Press, behing the neck squats, good mornings, and bent over rows for a total of 30 reps.

I'll be doing this morning and evening for the next few days to get the body used to being in pain.

might toss in a bit of taichi to try to mitigate the pain
    sammis

Sheesh ..... IT and cigars, WTF did I walk into?

I, too, it seems, am in the IT field and about 10 years out of the Marines. After screwing up both knees and an ankle I try not to run unless it's needed.

The gym here on my FOB has a nice treadmill and I use it about 4 times a week walking at a very brisk pace for about 45 minutes and it's helped me lose about 15 pounds, although I swear it's the friggin' heat out here.

Kris

Ok, so after 4 days of basic situps and that GPP exercise, i now have my whole body yelling at me

So tomorrow morning it's back to the gym. a Gredual build-up in the gym to get back into the groove of things.

overall, starting to feel better.
    sammis

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    I get up at 3:30 AM every week day. By 3:45 AM I'm down in the basement doing free weights for the next hour or so. I walk a little over a mile from where I park to my job. 3 days a week I go mountain biking for 10 miles. Currently both of my little ones are playing sports. Softball and T-ball. I help out with each so at least 5 days a week I'm doing that. We go camping every weekend at our seasonal site we have.

The soreness never stops it just moves around.

DG
    Damn Chris you're an animal

Quote Originally Posted by sammis View Post
    Ok, so after 4 days of basic situps and that GPP exercise, i now have my whole body yelling at me

So tomorrow morning it's back to the gym. a Gredual build-up in the gym to get back into the groove of things.

overall, starting to feel better.
    Shit you're past the hard part: getting started! Very cool - nothing like a few endorphins to smooth out the day.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

My wife and I go for a 4-mile walk every morning. Takes about an hour. Great way to start the day. I also try to ride my bike twice a week, for an hour each time. I usually only ride on the road, and last summer actually got a road bike. I had some knee troubles playing basketball in high school, so can't really run.

I'd like to start getting into a regimen of situps and pushups. My wife gets up before me and has this little routine all worked out, then we go for a walk. I can't do that - that much intense exercise just after I wake up makes me tired just thinking about it.

I tried lifting weights once. They were heavy. I put them back down.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I admire all you guys for your dedication and commitment.

I run........if someone is chasing me.

I lift weights......... regularly completing many reps of 12oz each.

I go to the gym weekly....... to pick up my neices/nephews from their activities.

There is a YMCA pool within perfect binocular range of my porch........ so I enjoy water sports frequently in the summer.

I'm a perfectly conditioned, 40 something, balding, cigar smoking, beer/scotch drinking, bikini watching machine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I admire all you guys for your dedication and commitment.

I run........if someone is chasing me.

I lift weights......... regularly completing many reps of 12oz each.

I go to the gym weekly....... to pick up my neices/nephews from their activities.

There is a YMCA pool within perfect binocular range of my porch........ so I enjoy water sports frequently in the summer.

I'm a perfectly conditioned, 40 something, balding, cigar smoking, beer/scotch drinking, bikini watching machine.

Hell Yeah!

Me and Jamie here ahead of our time.. You healthy people are gonna feel foolish someday, when you're in that hospital, dying of NOTHING!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Hell Yeah!

Me and Jamie here ahead of our time.. You healthy people are gonna feel foolish someday, when you're in that hospital, dying of NOTHING!
    No your wrong. I'm dieing for the pain to stop.

I do it because I like to lie to myself and say I have some muscles.

I started working out for a few reasons.

1st. I had a hard time playing with my kids. I start to run around and needed CPR after about 10 seconds.

2nd. I have a lot of family& friends kids that are all around the prime of their life. It feels good to toss them around like little girls.

3rd. Get laid more.

4th. I get to lie to myself and say I look better.

5th. I get to make fun of the rest of you fat bastrids.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

3rd. Get laid more.

Ahhhh... that explains Neal's Pants!

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

I don't lift weights because I simply can't afford to get any bigger. Not that I'm ripped now, but for 21 years while I was still growing, I was always buying new clothes. Now that I've kind of fit into a nice, comfortable size, I'm not about to lift weights to build muscle mass. I worry about what will happen should I ever decide to stop lifting.

I really just enjoy the cardio. Besides, if I bike hard all year, I can ski like a maniac in the winter and not get tired all day.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

No your wrong. I'm dieing for the pain to stop.

snip.....

3rd. Get laid more.

snip....

DG
    Ha, I've been married for almost 20 yrs......NOTHING will get me laid more often at this point. The 12oz curls make it less painful.

Thread Information