Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contest: Cigars ablaze!

Here's a "simpler" equation:

t = (X*H^.1.33)/release rate^(.33)

Unfortunately, X is something fairly complex...

That said (and I'll likely do the math for someone's benefit), it looks like the response time is under 1 second...

Blog Entries

50-4 = 46 post deficiet to compete in contest.

Quote Originally Posted by dajones View Post
    • The average size of the cigars is 5x50 cause you really dig those Robustos.
    • The Heat Release Rate of 1 cubic foot of tequila-soaked cigars can be assumed to be 250 BTU/s.
    • The inside temperature is 75 degrees F because your wife is always cold.
    • The detector alarm temperature is 135 degrees F.
    • The ceiling height in the living room is 10 ft and the ceiling is flat.
    • The heat detector is located on the living room ceiling, approximately 2 ft. from the centerline of the fire.
    • The Response Time Index (RTI) of the heat detector is 100.
    • The fire can be assumed to be Steady State.

Hmmm

okay, we need something like /ceiling jet lag time (assume 1.2) = .833

we need radial distance to detector (stated as 2 feet)

we need height of ceiling (10 feet)

and heat release rate (given = 250 btus)

raise radius to 11/6 = 2^11/6 = 3.56

Now calc release rate^1.3 times height^1/2

BUT: convert BTU to KW (what, like... BTU/minute equals 0.01757 kilowatt so 250*60/0.01757 =~ 854,000kw/min)
    I'll prolly hafta get back to heat release conversions...

T=1/(jet lag) * 3.56/10^(0.5)*Heat Release^(.333) = ~3/(3.2*Heat Release)

I kin already see Imma WRONG cuz this is gonna make a rilly smaaaallll #....

Back ta the drawing board
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Milke

X=4.6*10^-4*Y^2+2.7*10^-15*Y^6
    where Y = DeltaT(given)*H^5/3/release rate^2/3

(Hey, you firefighters donna messaroun', you know dat?)

• The Heat Release Rate 250 BTU/s.
    • The inside temperature is 75 degrees F
    • The detector alarm temperature is 135 degrees F.
    • The ceiling height in the living room is 10 ft
    • The heat detector is located on the living room ceiling, approximately 2 ft. from the centerline of the fire.
    • The Response Time Index (RTI) of the heat detector is 100.
    • The fire can be assumed to be Steady State.

Okay: I think the release rate conversion: 1 BTU/second equals 1.0542 kilowatt; 250 BTUs = 264kw

Required temp rise = 135 - 75 = 60 degrees

Y = 60*10ft^(5/3)/264kw^(2/3) = 67.7

X=4.6*10^-4*Y^2+2.7*10^-15*Y^6

X= 2.1

t = ~7 seconds

*whew*

"Math is Hard"; "Let's go shopping!"

If'n y'all believe my calcs, I'd like ta think the first guy to verify and cut/paste would be a lucky feller!

Blog Entries

If'n y'all believe my calcs, I'd like ta think the first guy to verify and cut/paste would be a lucky feller!

I think it's pretty damn rude, knowing that you don't qualify, to be posting guesses and expecting someone to plagiarize the work of a troll.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

t = ~7 seconds

*whew*

"Math is Hard"; "Let's go shopping!"

Dude, seriously - what the hell are you thinking? This contest is meant to be a fun thing for the contributing members of this site. There are rules listed at the top for a reason. Your attempt to show how smart you are is not appreciated, nor is the disrespect that you have shown me and this forum.

Go away.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I think it's pretty damn rude, knowing that you don't qualify, to be posting guesses and expecting someone to plagiarize the work of a troll.
    A... troll? I dinna say, e.g., "Obama is the greatest President evah!" Nor even "Don't you know cigars'll KILL YA?" You know... classic trolls.

As suggested by the OP: "Show your work." In other words, how, exactly, am I trolling?

Edit:

But, since the OP himself objects, I guess I'll move along.

(Oh: OP: I wazna tryin' to show how smaht *I* am, but how tuff it mus' be to pass the fireman's exam...)

Sorry to bust in on your party. Friendly site y'all got here...
    Last edited by dajones; 01-06-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: update

Blog Entries

Hey Buzz..

You may want to edit the contest... we need to factor in a 5,000 BTU Flaming Asshat into the equation!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

As suggested by the OP: "Show your work." In other words, how, exactly, am I trolling?
    Look man, right after I said to show your work (which you paid attention to) I said you had to have at least 50 posts (which you are ignoring) - that is not appreciated at all.

That would be appreciated.

(Oh: OP: I wazna tryin' to show how smaht *I* am, but how tuff it mus' be to pass the fireman's exam...)
    Yeah sure, that is exactly what you were doing.

This site is very friendly to those who contribute positively to it.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

A... troll? I dinna say, e.g., "Obama is the greatest President evah!" Nor even "Don't you know cigars'll KILL YA?" You know... classic trolls.

Edit:

You aren't being called a troll for WHAT you said, but because you came in and participated in a contest that you clearly did not qualify for. When prompted about the number of posts needed to play, you posted your guesses anyway...even when you knew you were not qualified to do so.

That is why your are being considered a troll.

Now, go away!!

Blog Entries

*YAWN*
    You're not even funny. At least you're succeeding in getting the youngsters all worked up. Maybe you'll type something that makes me laugh soon, well, at least more than the BOTL and PUFF admissions did.

12. Default

Just ignore the guy...

Ok lets get back on track.

This is a tuff one, but here is my guess. The heat detector alarm will never go off.

Now let me show my work,

Buzz may have some cheap ass watered down Tequila in the house but nothing that would work as a decent accelerant, and even if he did receive a bottle of 100+ proof Tequila for Christmas it didn't last threw the day.
    But lets assume the ex-girlfriend provided her own Tequila and it did make a good accelerant.
    Now the 150 or so Philly blunts that Buzz is going to say were top of the line montecristo's "at least to the insurance company" are in a pile burring away at 250 BTU/s and the heat detector is around 11 feet away give or take a foot.
    The detector which buzz claims is set to go off at 135 degrees and the room temperature is 75 F so you would need a 60 degree or so increase in temperature 11 feet away.
    allowing for the cooling effect of the room air temperature, the distance the detector is away from the fire, allowing for the accelerant to burn off and evaporation of the high quality 100+ proof tequila.

i really don't think it would go off.

Besides Buzz never replaced the batteries in the heat detector, some how the $ his wife gave him for batteries was spent obtaining the Philly blunts and cheap tequila.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-06-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Ok lets get back on track.

This is a tuff one .but here is my guess. the damn heat detector alarm will never go off.

Now let me show my work,

Buzz may have some cheap ass watered down Tequila in the house but nothing that would work as a decent accelerant, and even if he did receive a bottle of 100+ proof Tequila for Christmas it didn't last threw the day.
    But lets assume the ex-girlfriend provided her own Tequila and it did make a good accelerant.
    Now the 150 or so cheap ass Philly blunts that Buzz is going to say were top of the line montecristo's "at least to the insurance company" are in a pile burring away at 250 BTU/s and the heat detector is around 11 feet away give or take a foot.

The detector which buzz claims is set to go off at 135 degrees and the room temperature is 75 F so you would need a 60 degree or so increase in temperature 11 feet away.
    allowing for the cooling effect of the room air temperature, the distance the detector is away from the fire, allowing for the accelerant to burn off and evaporation of the high quality 100+ tequila.

i really don't think it would go off.

Besides Buzz never replaced the batteries in the heat detector, some how the $ his wife gave him for batteries was spent obtaining the Philly blunts and cheap tequila.
    - don't tell people about my blunts, no one will want to win!

By the way, I thought you may have had an spelling-error-free post here for the first time ever... but then I read it again.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    - don't tell people about my blunts, no one will want to win!

By the way, I thought you may have had an spelling-error-free post here for the first time ever... but then I read it again.

-Buzz
    Take it easy, he just got threwn off a bit.

Blog Entries

Not like he through gasoline on a fire, or anything..

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

I needed a good laugh ,
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

The better question is how long does it take for the fire to be put out...let me take a stab at that.

-The department is 3 miles away.
    -Its presumably late at night so there will be little traffic.
    -The speed limit around your house is 30 mph.
    -The average "out the door time" is 45 seconds.
    -Fire grows 10 times in size a minute.

So the truck arrives in 2.5 minutes roughly. They hook up to the hydrant and lay attack hose in 2 minutes. They find the fire in 3 minutes (lets assume its upstairs and everyone is assumed to be out of the house by now, so searching will not be a main priority and slow you down.) The sticks take up about 2 square feet (rough guess) initially. By the time the fire is ready to be put out the fire will be about 140 square feet (once again roughly, my math skills suck.) Flowing 150 gallons per minute (pretty standard amount for a normal attack line) it would take me as nozzle man all of ten seconds to put it out. So a total time of about 7 minutes and 40 seconds to put it out.

I think the putting it out math is way more fun...and its all I know. And I know this contest is for people with 50+ posts but I felt special actually knowing about something so I felt moved to post. Congrats on passing the test, I don't know how engineering tests are but just normal firefighting state tests are absolute bitches...but thankfully I passed mine first try.

19. Default

Here's my stab at it. I subtracted the temp of the room (75 F) from the temp the alarm is set to detect (135 F) which gave me a "Temperature Bridge" or "TB" of 60 degrees. I then divided the 100 RTI of the detector by the 60 degree TB which brings us to a 1.66..."ResponseTime" or "RP". I then took into account that the ex was most likely raised in a barn (she had to be if she dated you) and left the door and window open, which caused a severe draft. So I added 15% to my 1.66 RP to compensate for windchill factor and that makes the real-time RP 1.91. Now take the 250 BTU of the flame and multiply that by 1.91=477.5, and divide that by 60. This gives you your answer which is 7.958 seconds. I've included an illustration, which should clear up any questions you have about how I figured this out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buzzcontest.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1474  
    "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirPuffsAlot View Post
    I then took into account that the ex was most likely raised in a barn (she had to be if she dated you) and left the door and window open, which caused a severe draft.
    Nice catch, I was wondering if someone would figure out the draft issue...

Oh, and that picture is simply amazing - you qualify even without the 50 posts just due to the illustration!

-Buzz

Thread Information