Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lent

I don't give anything up anymore.
    Yay! Cigars!

Approaching that halfway mark. This one has been tough. (Not the toughest ever for me though) I will say that I have definitely learned from it and it has also been one of the more meaningful.

Blog Entries

It's getting close now!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    It's getting close now!
    Woooooo hooooooo!!!
    Just another day at the office!

Huzzah! Sweets here I come!

Happy Easter everyone!

Blog Entries

Happy Easter indeed (aka Kielbasa, spiral ham, and horseradish day)
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

^ the hardest to give up, but so worth it.

9. Default

We traditionalists will be eating lamb. Ham seems so passive aggressive

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I'm giving up drinking.

I gave up booze AND cigars last year. That was a disaster

I have on good authority that Sundays don't count in lent Each is a mini Easter according to the church.

Will
    I'm doing this one again this year. Having a Sprite tonight with cigar, which is.... unusual.

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I'm doing this one again this year. Having a Sprite tonight with cigar, which is.... unusual.
    Wow! Is that like necro and post whore in the same post?

Good for you btw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post

Good for you btw.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post

Good for you btw.
    See because we do not have chat I have no idea how bad you were this year...I hope it's an easy lent for you!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    See because we do not have chat I have no idea how bad you were this year...I hope it's an easy lent for you!
    LOL. Yeah, I've been pretty "good" this year. The weekends, the beerz usually ramp up, so it will definitely have my attention during those times.

Uncle Tupelo

A number of years ago I gave up Lent for Lent... True story...

Not meant to be elitest or find fault with anyone, but I've migrated away from that belief structure. Not so much to avoid Lent, but to truly get to the true purpose of what "church" (community) is about. Perhaps that's why I'm so attracted to the core membership in this community... Let's just say - I love the signs and symbolisms, but really hate the stage show. I love to see people in church worshiping, but seriously hate when those devoted worshipers try to run you down while leaving the parking lot.

The whole concept of Lent is made to focus us on the sacrifices of a person sent here by God to show us "the way" during the final times of his life on earth. In my mind, while Lent seems on the surface to satisfy the "sacrifice" part of being devout, it truly only focuses us on sacrificing during that short part of the year leading up to Easter (the death and "rebirth") - but ignores the "act" for the rest of the year. And I do not have to wear my religious beliefs on my sleeve...

I belong to an organization whose main requirement is for me to believe in a "higher power". I would say the organization is not necessarily religious based (e.g. one religions beliefs over another), but it's core signs and symbols do point to religious beliefs being the foundation for a good life. I wholeheartedly buy into the whole concept. I appreciate the way being "religious" is woven through the lessons - and causes me to reflect on how being responsible to a "higher power" affects my life every day. I know I will never be perfect in my thoughts/deeds/actions, but I'm constantly reminded that I need to work towards being perfect. And - some days I will "sacrifice" more than others.

For those currently experiencing Lent - I sincerely hope this time of reflection helps to build a stronger devotion and fills you with a sense of true purpose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    A number of years ago I gave up Lent for Lent... True story...

Not meant to be elitest or find fault with anyone, but I've migrated away from that belief structure. Not so much to avoid Lent, but to truly get to the true purpose of what "church" (community) is about. Perhaps that's why I'm so attracted to the core membership in this community... Let's just say - I love the signs and symbolisms, but really hate the stage show. I love to see people in church worshiping, but seriously hate when those devoted worshipers try to run you down while leaving the parking lot.

The whole concept of Lent is made to focus us on the sacrifices of a person sent here by God to show us "the way" during the final times of his life on earth. In my mind, while Lent seems on the surface to satisfy the "sacrifice" part of being devout, it truly only focuses us on sacrificing during that short part of the year leading up to Easter (the death and "rebirth") - but ignores the "act" for the rest of the year. And I do not have to wear my religious beliefs on my sleeve...

I belong to an organization whose main requirement is for me to believe in a "higher power". I would say the organization is not necessarily religious based (e.g. one religions beliefs over another), but it's core signs and symbols do point to religious beliefs being the foundation for a good life. I wholeheartedly buy into the whole concept. I appreciate the way being "religious" is woven through the lessons - and causes me to reflect on how being responsible to a "higher power" affects my life every day. I know I will never be perfect in my thoughts/deeds/actions, but I'm constantly reminded that I need to work towards being perfect. And - some days I will "sacrifice" more than others.

For those currently experiencing Lent - I sincerely hope this time of reflection helps to build a stronger devotion and fills you with a sense of true purpose.
    Hey-oh. I'm certainly not condemning anyone not participating in lent, nor do I try an run anyone over after church (unless I didn't get to finish my coffee on the ride in))

I'm using this lent as a time for reflection: A chance to give up some of my current "habits", to reflect on them, and reflect on the results of giving them up.

Will

ETA: I hear ya.
    Last edited by badwhale; 03-08-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I have never seen this board discuss such things. I think it is really fantastic. I have never participated in lent, but I do have a relationship with The Man. I am not a fan of the "showmanship" of religion (not knocking lent, but the fakeness, and uptightness of the average church).

Again, I think it is great that you are participating in this. Because regardless of the differences in opinion regarding technicalities, it's nice to know you all observe, practice, and particapate in some way.

I think that will be all I will have to say about that. :)

Back to cigars.

Blog Entries

Well, we're not supposed to discuss religion. I guess I shouldn't have bumped this thread, since the same tabooness came up the first time.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I appreciate the way the last few comments lightly discussed the topic. I think the comments were appropriate, but I also agree that we should probably leave those discussions to other forums. I am a Catholic, and I try very hard to re-dedicate my life to follow the ways of Christ during Lent. I don't look at other people in any negative way, even if they are atheists. After all, I have enough trouble just taking care of myself. I think the people that regularly post here are awesome people and I am really glad that you let me hang out even though I'm likely the most immature 51 year-old around.

I approach cigar smoking a lot like religion. I try to participate in it as often as possible. I like to hang out with others who like to smoke. I try to learn more about it. Lastly, I'm still an amateur at it. I wonder if I will get into cigar heaven? I know I've smoked some cigars that were pure hell, so I want to avoid that!

My intent was not to spark a debate - to each his own. I was being a bit facetious (e.g. giving up Lent for Lent), but truly but not trying to condemn anyone's beliefs or faith. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Illilli - right on!

...carry on!

Thread Information