Drink: Ice Water
    Tunes: The Fray ~ How to Save a Life

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Draw: Easy with a slight resistance
    Burn: Decent
    Misc: 45 minutes
    Price: ~$7.00 a single ($117.00/box of 20)

Pre-light: Nice construction, firm with minimal veins. The foot smells like sweet tobacco, very nice pre-light smell.

Light: The draw off the light was perfect, nice and light with just a touch of resistance.

1st 3rd: Slightly sweet taste with a touch of pepper. This is producing a lot of thick, white smoke. Burn is a little bit uneven but not bad enough to fix it. Nose exhale has a good burn to it from pepper.

Ash: Layered with dark gray and light gray, holds on for about an inch.

2nd 3rd: The sweetness died off a little bit and the pepper picked up a little. There is also a leather taste that is coming into play now along with a longer, creamy finish.

3rd 3rd: The burn evened up in the 3/3. There is still a lot of pepper and spice in this stick with a background of leather. The finish is still a little creamy but isn't as long as it was in the 2/3.

Overall impression: This is a decent stick if you get it for the right price. I think that at $7.00 for a single they would be sitting on the shelf for a while but after my B&M gave me one to try I picked up a box of them. They are very spicy which I really enjoy. It reminds me slightly of a DPG with the amount of spice in the stick. If you see one in the store don't hesitate to try it out.

The biggest issue that my B&M owner discussed with me is the packaging (there's a picture of the box below for everyone to see what I'm talking about). The idea behind the box is that the non-mom & pop stores, who have someone without a lot of cigar knowledge behind the counter, will have an eye catcher for non-regular cigar smokers. The mom & pop shops have to actually work harder to sell the cigars because a lot of seasoned cigar smokers will look at the box, figure it is a gimmick and walk right past it.

I would give this cigar a solid 8.5 out of 10. It's a good cigar but not something that knocked my socks off.

Tachy

(thanks to Will for the format!)
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review. I've been "meh" on Augusto Reyes smokes sofar. Not put off, but not turned on by them.

That box is pretty freakin' nuts...

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Thanks for the review. I've been "meh" on Augusto Reyes smokes sofar. Not put off, but not turned on by them.

That box is pretty freakin' nuts...

Will
    You may feel the same way about this one then, "meh" is a good description of it. It's not a bad smoke, I enjoy it and everything, but it's not something that I'm going to freak out about.

Blog Entries

Interesting review, thanks for posting!

Depending on your local taxes, it doesn't sound like a $7 cigar to me, though.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

garryyjr Guest

Sounds good. Once it has been in the humi for a few days I will get on smoking this one.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
    Sounds good. Once it has been in the humi for a few days I will get on smoking this one.
    x2 I can't wait to try it out also.

Ah see how I did that? I posted up a review just before the people I hit got their smokes! Now you can smoke it and compare.

garryyjr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TachyCoventry View Post
    Ah see how I did that? I posted up a review just before the people I hit got their smokes! Now you can smoke it and compare.
    Very good thinking... very good.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Nice review. It is amazing what kind of draw packaging can do for a product. Very interesting packaging and artwork. As we all know packaging can look "killer" but that won't ever change the product experience. A really good product, like Padron, except for the higher end sticks have very plain wrapping. On the other hand, it is a pleasure to smoke something that has a band to compliment. Have yet to try Agusto Reyes, but I have some varieties in the humi. Thanks for the review.
    Just another day at the office!

Thread Information