Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Review These - Reviews

Nice reviews, but unfortunately wrong with the more expensive one.
    Number one was an AF Anejo #48 (I think...might be a different size though)
    Number two was a RP diesel.

Number one was more expensive. I though that by leaving the cedar on it would make it a little easier but I guess not. I did take the black ribbon off the anejo though, so that may have complicated things.

Great job.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

The cedar sleeve actually served as reverse psychology in this case. I thought you were trying to fool me into picking it. In either event, both were great smokes. Now I am more excited to smoke the Diesels I have in stock.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders
    The cedar sleeve actually served as reverse psychology in this case. I thought you were trying to fool me into picking it. In either event, both were great smokes. Now I am more excited to smoke the Diesels I have in stock.
    ]

hehe.

Yes, those diesels are very nice smokes.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Finally got around to cigar #2, Colorado Maduro, largish Robusto (5+1/4 * 50). Nice looking cigar with the leaf edges of the wrapper fairly evident.
    Cut the tip and a pre light draw seemed perfect.
    Lit it up and the whole way through it burnt very well, given the weather (squally wind and rain) never deviated from a clean burn by more than 1/4 inch and allways self corrected.
    First third was cocoa and woody tones with the second developing more in the way of mollases. Last third returned to the woody tones.
    At no point did the cigar develop beyond the mild side of mild to medium smoke, would have these in the morning in future.

Nice cigar but needs more attitude.

I look forward to reviewing #1 which looks much the same but half an inch longer
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

How do I get to review the stogies ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker
    On the thread titled Review These when someone posts the question, "who wants to review these cigars", you respond.

Go to that thread and read the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker

...and we have a "FREE CIGARS" thread - but you gotta commit to sending something on to the next person...

Thanks guys.

Will def do the Free cigar thing but curious to see how my review skills are first

So here goes nuttin',

Cigar #1:
    This cigar is a well made corona. A couple of small veins in the wrapper. No soft spots. The cap was impeccable, I almost hated to clip it. There was a slight sheen to the wrapper, visible when the light hit it just right.
    Pre-light draw was a little tight, but not so as to be unpleasant. The ash was grey and very firm, falling with a good tap at about 2inches. At about the mid-point, I was getting ready to touch up a run, and it corrected itself quickly.
    This little stick is mild, with just a hint of spice noticed after lighting, and building just a bit throughout the cigar. I usually have a hard time distinguishing flavors, with the exception of wood and leather, and this cigar was no different.
    This was a pleasant cigar, one similar to what I would usually reserve for my morning smoke.

I would think, before actually smoking #2, judging by the difference in construction, that #1 is the more expensive cigar. #2 review will follow later tonight or tomorrow.

Here we go again...

I'm getting to the end of #2 as I type this.
    At first glance, these 2 cigars looked very similar. Both had about the same color wrapper(#1 had a slightly redder tint) and construction looked very close, however, that's where they parted company. This one had several soft spots and just felt loosely wrapped overall. This cigars ash was flaky and dark grey to black. I experienced several burn problems and was constantly touching it up. The draw was too easy making the cigar hot.
    The taste was just tobacco, and didn't change appreciably over the entire length.

I will have to stick to my initial assesment that #1 is the more expensive cigar.

Nice reviews but odd results. Checking my records

#1 = RyJ Coronitas en Cedros ($110/box 25 Machine made and hand finished)
    #2 = Bolivar Petit Corona ($155/box 25 Hand made)

I admit that I do really like the RyJs and reckon that they are a real good value smoke. The Bolivar is normally quite tasty, so I am a bit suprised.

Prices quoted are fom the etailers that I normally use to get them.

BTW, Will complete my outstanding review by the close of the weekend. Has been a v busy week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    Nice reviews but odd results. Checking my records

#1 = RyJ Coronitas en Cedros ($110/box 25 Machine made and hand finished)
    #2 = Bolivar Petit Corona ($155/box 25 Hand made)

I admit that I do really like the RyJs and reckon that they are a real good value smoke. The Bolivar is normally quite tasty, so I am a bit suprised.

Prices quoted are fom the etailers that I normally use to get them.

BTW, Will complete my outstanding review by the close of the weekend. Has been a v busy week or two.

Very odd.
    Hey, that was my first machine made in over 20 years.
    As far as the Bolivar, I usually don't commit to a like/dislike with the first stick. This one was a good example as to why. Without the burn issues, this would have been a more enjoyable smoke.

Thanks again for letting me review those. This was a great idea.

OK, Cigar #1 from James. Similar to #2 but about a half inch longer. Cap was a bit untidy and tried to unravel when i cut it.
    Good draw throughout and smoked well, in the lighter end of medium for strength, with the flavour consistently being woody with an element of liquorice.

To be honest I am not sure which cigar I preffered, the strength of #1 attracted me more but #2 was just that little bit more tastey.

If I were to guess, I would say that #2 was the more expensive/select.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Stjohn

Dead on Stjohn! #2 was the more expensive of the two:

Cigar #1 = Padron 3000
    Cigar #2 = DC Maximus

Great, straight forward reviews. Thanks for playing.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Aaaalrighty Gentlemen -

The sticks have been resting in their temporary homes now and tonight is perfect for a (couple) smokes. I see that DVM is trying to be tricky... similar looking sticks, #1 slightly longer than #2.

Cigar #1
    Pre lighting observation: Beautiful maduro wrapper - slightly oily. Excellent construction, no major veins. Smelled wonderful, if not slightly spicy.

Foot has been lit... wrapper tastes... sweet? Very even burn throughout the stick. Stick started slightly spicy but went into a nice "even" mode. Went out a couple times at the 1/2 way mark.

Cigar #2

Pre lighting observation: nice wrapper, one vein spotted. Not as dark of a wrapper, but excellent construction. Can it be... a tri-cap? Smelled wonderful - no spice.

Smoking it - nice mild, smooth smoke. Good draw. At about an inch, the burn went uneven, corrected it, smoked it to about 3 inches.

So here's the dilemma... completely different smokes.

Just for personal enjoyment between the two - I'd have to say #2 was the more expensive smoke.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Good call mauied.

#1 was a La Corona Perfecto X Oscuro, about $3 each. A good cigar, especially for that price.

#2 was a Diamond Crown Maximus Toro #4, about $12 each.

Thank you thank you... humility has officially left the building... (just kidding)

I've rarely seen tri-caps on non-ISOM sticks. Thank you for sending them my way!
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Ok Paul you are pretty tricky. Both cigars are the same length. Both Maduro and both square shaped.

Initial thoughts Cigar #1 looks better, but I like how #2 smells prelight more.

#1 Wrapper is Maduro very nice and smoth to the touch with imbedded slightly visible grains. Very nice smoke: nice tight ash, full flavored yet smooth with lots of creamy smoke. I tasted spices at first then half way through got more leather and nutty tastes with just a bit of coffee towards the end. An awesome 1 and half hour of smoking pleasure

Will post review on #2 tom eve.

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    allright, a sunny Texas afternoon found me outside with cigar #1. This was another torpedo, 6 1/4", about a 50 ring. Natural wrapper, or maybe some variation of rosado, smooth, few veins. Good construction. It had a pleasant tobacco odor to it before lighting. The draw was medium, like I prefer. After lighting, I knew from the first draw this was the better cigar. Tons of flavor from the start and lots of smooth creamy smoke that just got better. It never became harsh or bitter until about the last 1 inch or so. This was definitely the better cigar, and I'm going to guess it was the more expensive one as well. If it's in my price range I'll buy more when I find out what it is.

So, thanks rpcky16 for the cigars and for a great smoke!!
    BE nice!!!

--Drive-By Truckers

Default lmao!!!

damn! you're psycho . . . I mean psychic!! not only do you know where I am, you dredge up the only mistake I ever made!!. And hey, I still stand by my review - enjoyed the Olivera more than I think was a vsg.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Thread Information