Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cubans

1. Default

I know this is an old thread but I figured Id post here rather than starting a new thread. Was smoking at my local b&M today talking to a few guys. They were telling me that one way to tell if a Cuban is "real" is if it smells slightly of horse manure (spelling?). That it wont smell like weve all come to know as the cigar smell. Any truth to this? I dont know if I could bring myself to put a cigar in my mouth and smoke it if it smelled like horse manure, I dont care what country its from.

No, just not so.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I never smell cigars. Never have. I have friends that do and I don't know why. They smell the same to me. But I'm gonna have to call bull shit on the ISOMs smelling like ... well ... bull shit.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I dunno - I've had some, more than a few, that yes, smelled like a barnyard. First time I smelled that I was dubious, but have come to know that it's a mark of a cigar that is going to smoke very nicely. Sean, some I'm talking about you and I have had from the same bunch, recently. So maybe it's a perception issue. Not all of them smell that way to me, and I don't mean to say that an absence of that smell a sign of an inferior cigar.

I always figured it could be just part of what vegetative material goes through after it leaves the plant; e.g., ammonia production, composting processes, etc.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I'm not saying they can't smell like that, I'm saying that that is not the mark of an ISOM as opposed to any other cigar.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I had occasion recently to smell an ISOM and compare the aroma to cigars manufactured elsewhere. I couldn't discern a difference and none had a barnyard quality. They were stored together in the same humi.
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

7. Default

In my travels I have had the pleasure of smoking tons-o-Cubans including a host of lesser known brands. I have yet to come across one that has a barnyard quality.

Ok, I'm thinking it's an issue of perception. Regarding my own, I've never smoked a cigar and tasted leather, spice (other than the initial burn with some cigars that might be compared to that of black pepper), floral, chocolate, or what have you. "Grassy", yes, and others: salt, green pecan leaves, damp mesquite wood, new-sawn mesquite, ammonia of course, and others.

What I'm saying is a "barnyard smell", for me, is there before the cigar is lit, after which it becomes barely noticeable, if not altogether absent. Any smell is replaced by that of the burning tobacco once lit.

It's like blue cheeses for me - get some of that on your hands and it smells like ass, but eating it is heaven.

I agree with BigMacFU - a barnyard smell is be no means a mark of authenticity.

It is one I often perceive.
    Last edited by basil; 04-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I agree. For me it seems to be maduros that have the hint of manure odor. Could be methantiol, a gas generated my decaying organic matter. Maybe something to do with the tabacco curing process. It doesn't bother me in the least. Sniff a Gispert maduro if your curious. I like them because sissys don't.

Quote Originally Posted by prostartjr1738 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I figured Id post here rather than starting a new thread. Was smoking at my local b&M today talking to a few guys. They were telling me that one way to tell if a Cuban is "real" is if it smells slightly of horse manure (spelling?). That it wont smell like weve all come to know as the cigar smell. Any truth to this? I dont know if I could bring myself to put a cigar in my mouth and smoke it if it smelled like horse manure, I dont care what country its from.
    nope - bum info...

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I dunno - I've had some, more than a few, that yes, smelled like a barnyard. First time I smelled that I was dubious, but have come to know that it's a mark of a cigar that is going to smoke very nicely. Sean, some I'm talking about you and I have had from the same bunch, recently. So maybe it's a perception issue. Not all of them smell that way to me, and I don't mean to say that an absence of that smell a sign of an inferior cigar.

I always figured it could be just part of what vegetative material goes through after it leaves the plant; e.g., ammonia production, composting processes, etc.
    If it's those farm rolled you guys been smokin', no doubt it has a 'manure' smell to it!!

Actually - now that you mention it - some of the best fresh farm rolled Kooban cigars I've had do have a bit of a barnyard smell to 'em.

But - nope - that is definitely not what distinquishes real from fake. I say you go back and tell 'em to prove it!!!

12. Default

Ok thanks guys, thats pretty much what I figured. It was the first time Ive ever meet this guys so jus wondering if he knew his stuff or what. He seemed a little "off the wall" to me to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I say you go back and tell 'em to prove it!!!
    George, are you suggesting he makes him bury his nose in some bullshit and then bury his nose in a nicaraguan/dominican, then go back and bury it in the cow pie again and then finally bury it in the cuban? Because if so, I agree, get your friend to do that if he's so sure

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    If it's those farm rolled you guys been smokin',
    I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.
    - Tom Robbins

Quote Originally Posted by prostartjr1738 View Post
    Ok thanks guys, thats pretty much what I figured. It was the first time Ive ever meet this guys so jus wondering if he knew his stuff or what. He seemed a little "off the wall" to me to begin with.

That seems to be a common theme with those that "know" and would say something like that. Most likely because his only experience with a REAL Koobans are the ones he's been sold that were touched by Castro himself, then smuggled out of the back door of the factory, passed from cousins, brothers, to sister - made it through a rough passage on an air matress from Cuba to Miami (at VERY reasonable prices)...

...but more than likely because somewhere along the line the couriers stashed it in the back of their pants...

Thread Information