Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Oh don't you worry about that.

I haven't read How To Brew, yet. I joined a homebrew board and picked up The Complete Joy of Homebrewing.

Do I need a Carboy now? I'd rather just go ahead and buy it if I'll need it down the road. I understand it leaves the sediment in the first container instead of bottling it. Keeps you from having to leave a little in the bottle when you pour.

I love Rogue Chocolate Stout, and I saw a clone kit of Rogue's Shakespeare Stout which is yummy as well. But I don't want it to be like an Easy 'Beer' Oven like Mr. Beer. Plus the packet was like $44, seems steep.
You don't need a carboy because the sediment will form a thick mud at the bottom of the bucket and you won't bottle it anyway.

But if you're going to age your beer you need a carboy to get the beer off the sediment to keep the flavor clean. I have 5 carboys.

Either way, you will have a little yeast at the bottom of you bottle and will have to leave a little in the bottle.

Unless you're making wheat beer, then you should roll the bottle before opening it to get the yeast up and mixed before you pour.